Menu
Janie6
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sudden influx of spam/scam/phishing emails

Hi, I've had a sudden deluge of scam/phishing emails in the last 2 days, literally about 50 mostly relating to renewing security software which I haven't ever used, blacklisting has caused me to reach the max number so has anyone else had the same issues or can anyone advise how to stop them?

0 Kudos
Paulius55
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden influx of spam/scam/phishing emails

We are also suffering exactly the same thing on one of our Virgin accounts, within the last 3-4 days, 10-15 emails a day mainly relating to subscriptions out of date, or software no longer working. It is disappointing that the Virgin email system does not recognise these and sideline them.

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There has been a lot of discussion of Spam including some threads which have some solutions. I don't know if they work but have a look and see what you think. This is one thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-VM-s-filter-is-useless/td-p/4477831

0 Kudos
LonelyBlade
Dialled in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Add another victim of this latest spam influx.

The Virgin spam filter has worked fine for me for quite a number of years but over the last couple of days I'm getting all sorts of rubbish coming through. As per OP they mainly relate to security issues.

Any idea mods? Are the techie people aware of the issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Me too! Filters have worked but just started to get the auto renewals from Norton and McAfee. VM and techie folk are aware but the only advice I have seen to date is to delete spam e-mails. If there is better advice, please advise.

What I have found is that this kind of spam is not new and not related just to VM. McAfee produced an article on the subject in the summer but the issue long pre-dates 2020. https://www.mcafee.com/blogs/consumer/consumer-threat-notices/the-latest-phishing-scam/ 

What is new is the quantity arriving and the apparent inability of anyone to tackle the issue. 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

At present the filters detailed in this post Re: Junk email are helping manage a majority of the spam I receive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LonelyBlade
Dialled in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Do I just create the rule exactly as shown in your screen shots?
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes but you will need to create the holding folders; I usually do this before hand by select My Folders, then (located next to folder name) and Add new folder

LonelyBlade
Dialled in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've created both rules and will update with any result - good or bad! Thanks again.
0 Kudos
LonelyBlade
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update as promised - the spam seems to have slowed down and I'm not getting anywhere near as much, but what has been arriving has been filtered out into new folder as suggested. Nothing has got through to inbox which subsequently has stopped it getting through to my phone. Success I would suggest!

Thanks once again to 用心棒

0 Kudos