Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sudden delay in incoming emails arriving via UK2.net re-direct

Got to add my name to the list of people suffering from delayed emails

Had this problem a few years back, and thanks to a kind soul on here it got sorted. My emails use a redirection service from a hostname on UK2.net and its worked flawlessly since the last issue. Apparently the problem back then was that a server between UK2 and VM had been greylisted

Fast forward to last week, and all of a sudden emails start getting delayed any anything from a couple of hours to several days. When I checked my PC this morning there were emails that had originally been sent as far back as wednesday afternoon. Some emails though get straight through

Obviously something has been changed, as its been fine up until now. If this is VM's anti-spam policy going into overdrive, it needs a re-think!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden delay in incoming emails arriving via UK2.net re-direct

Using the advice on another similar thread, I copied the email header from a message that had been delayed by 2.5 days

(This was just an email to me from Battersea Dogs Home)

Two major apparent delays both times from md3.tb.ukmail.iss.local 212.54.57.68 which has a red cross in the blacklist column)

mytoolbox.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This is another one - delayed by 2 days. Sent by a customer of mine

mxtoolbox2.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

There's something odd in the order of the headers in the mail in the first example.

You haven't forwarded the mail as an attachment in Outlook have you?

The first point at which it hits Virgin Media's servers is one of the mx servers - in this case it should be:

mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net

any DNS name ending .local is on the same network.  Here's an example from me - this one did not have a delay though:

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi there - thank you for getting back to me.....

All I did was follow the instructions on one of the other threads - ie go to webmail, display the email header and copy/paste it into mxtoolbox

I do use Outlook for all my emailing, but didnt get these headers from within that program

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Your two examples actually show two different reasons for the delayed mail.

In the first there is no delay handing it off to Virgin Media's Mail exchanger.  HOWEVER we see two delays WITHIN Virgin Media's mail system.

handing from mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143,net to md3.tb.ukmail.iss.local - aprox 245000 seconds
handing from md3.tb.ukmail.iss.local to mc20.tb.ukmail.iss.local - approx 24500 seconds

I make that 5 days total delay.  We've certainly seen delays between the mx and md portions before, but not between the md and mc portions.

The second one shows a delay in the mail exchanger accepting the mail.  Which is more in line with what others have reported.

@ModTeam 

Both of those are going to need escalating to Liberty Global.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have seen strangeness in the order of headers from Outlook in certain circumstances before now.

You'll have to trust me on that one.  While I don't work for Virgin Media, I do know a fair bit about their email setup, as well as having a good understanding of email in general.  So I do know the order the servers run in once the mail gets into Virgin Media's system.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I do appreciate your help Tim - Ive been a techlover for many years, but this is way out of my comfort zone 🙂

Is it significant that some of the email hops are flagged on the blacklist section of the mxtoolbox analyser? cant save an image of that bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

You should be able to copy the table as text - just drag over it and then right click and select copy

For example:

Hop Delay From By With Time (UTC) Blacklist
1*authenticated-user 77.68.89.100box.timothydutton.co.ukcipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested)11/9/2019 11:21:12 AM

21 Secondbox.timothydutton.co.uk 77.68.89.100mx10.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.netESMTP11/9/2019 11:21:13 AM

31 Secondsmtpclienthelo 212.54.57.77md2.tb.ukmail.iss.localLMTP11/9/2019 11:21:14 AM

40 secondsmd2.tb.ukmail.iss.local 212.54.57.77mc8.tb.ukmail.iss.localLMTP11/9/2019 11:21:14 AM

If you see an error about invalid HTML - just hit the post button again.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Took a screenshot which I hope works

Screenshot_2019-11-09 Email Header Analyzer, RFC822 Parser - MxToolbox.png

0 Kudos