Menu
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 41 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stopping SPAM from being delivered..

Hi @ALF28

Thanks for your feedback on the matter, assuming that the help link has already been ran through, I will keep a log of these so I can feed this back to the team for possible future improvements on the SPAM filters.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 42 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Travis_M- yahoo gambling emails

I checked the help link regarding spam settings etc.

The yahoo gambling emails have a sender address yahoo.co.uk, this does not match the received address which is yahoo.com which is now used rather than .co.uk so that may be spoofed in the email, that allows the sender details to change.

The IP address changes for each email, not sure why but that may normal for yahoo email, some emails do not show the the senders address just a  server address, (similar to outlook)

The yahoo emails use an envelope and always have  no TO  address, which would be my ntlworld.com email address but it is missing on every email, perhaps it is sent like a blind copy with the TO address left blanc.

I am surprised if an email has  the TO email address missing, that the spam filter is not tagging this as spam?

ALF28

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 43 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ALF28 

Appreciate the further feedback, at this current point there isn't much further I myself can do if you've tried everything in the help link but I will feed this back to the relevant teams as previously advised.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

coenoby
Super solver
Message 44 of 55
Flag for a moderator

@ALF28 wrote:

I am surprised if an email has  the TO email address missing, that the spam filter is not tagging this as spam?

I agree that may seem suspicious but remember if you are sending out a club newsletter for instance, then you should have all the club members email addresses as BCC's in order to keep their addresses private from one another. Understandably not everyone is happy to have their email address shared with the whole group which is what would happen if you put them as CC's.

I must say though that when I send out a newsletter for a group I belong to I put the members as BCC's but always put my own email address in the 'To' field.

Also, you have the other side of the coin where a while ago many people complained on this forum about the difficulties caused by the way VM was flagging genuine newsletters as spam. Filtering out real spam without catching some genuine emails is a difficult balance.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 45 of 55
Flag for a moderator

NEWSLETTERS

Thanks Coenoby, I agree that newsletters are usually done using BCC, not displaying all the member names for security reasons.

I do not think the yahoo gambling emails are newsletters as such, but unsolicited emails looking for a response.

Still odd that the yahoo gambling  emails have the TO  blanc, most of my official newsletters do have my  email address in the TO header.

Also odd that the email From changes, at least 20 variation, so it is not a newsletter as such just advice on horse tipping. They arrive randomly in batches and can be 3 months apart with no unsubscribe link, almost like a paid service. I have checked the tips and they can loose or win but he tipping looks professional and they do win sometimes 3 in a row, so interesting, after a few wins they ask me to reply to the email. probably a scam?

I agree the balance of spam filtering can be tricky, but most of my genuine newsletters are not classed as spam.

Seems odd that virgin can provide blacklisting but no whitelisting, I do that myself using filters, easy to direct a newsletter to a folder which I do with the unknown yahoo emails.

I do receive some spam emails that list multiple people in the TO header, not many about 20 usually Canada pharmacy or dating emails which will list at least 4 or more  email addresses including my own.

I am getting a lot less general spam now for some reason , about 10 per week mostly newsletters that do have unsbscribe links and virgin tag approx. half as spam but most are gambling emails that just keep coming from many sources so I must be on a database for betting emails going back to past years

I am never confident to click the unsubscribe links as the advice is not to with "unknown" emails or newsletters.

alf28

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 46 of 55
Flag for a moderator

@ALF28 wrote:

I do not think the yahoo gambling emails are newsletters as such, but unsolicited emails looking for a response

To be honest I was definitely not suggesting that the Yahoo emails you are getting are genuine newsletters.

I was merely responding to your statement "I am surprised if an email has  the TO email address missing, that the spam filter is not tagging this as spam?" by saying that there are legitimate reasons for using blind copies although in those cases I think it is prudent for the sender to use their own address in the 'To' field.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 47 of 55
Flag for a moderator

SPAM EMAILS WITH STRANGE CHARACTERS/SYMBOLS-

I often get emails that do not display correctly with symbols, always wondered what this was so checked it out, it is due to encoding errors.

Obfuscation has been used more and more by spammers to make spam emails bypass filters.

SEE-

Why do so many spam emails lately contain a lot of unicode characters? - Information Security Stack ...

(PDF) Fighting unicode-obfuscated spam (researchgate.net)

Why Do I Get Odd Characters instead of Quotes in My Documents? - Ask Leo!

ALF28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 48 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Spam emails have noticeably reduced of late.

Much of the spam and scam emails to my virgin email  address appear to have ceased recently, I can only presume those responsible have been closed down.

Thanks to whoever has manged to stop these spam/scams, I hope it continues and the stopping of these annoying emails is wonderful.

Not sure is the spam was from a single source or multiple sources, but recently, little unsolicited/unknown spam is being received to my email, so it is either being blocked or the responsible spambot(s) or server(s) been closed down rather than previously letting them through through to the inbox or going to spam. Perhaps Virgin have sorted the problem at last?

alf28

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 49 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28, 

Thanks for your post and for confirming things are going better for you now. 

Fingers crossed this continues in the right direction. 

Let us know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

TryingToBeHappy
On our wavelength
Message 50 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Was too good to last.. 

Was getting nothing... till just now.. China Crypto Coin rubbish... So, added it to a filter and fingers crossed its gone for good.... 

Was excellent there, for a while!