Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 31 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stopping SPAM from being delivered..

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 32 of 56
Flag for a moderator

AVOIDANCE OF SCAM EMAILS -give up the fight-moving on -alf28

IF any email  address is getting spam bombed it means the email address is on a list that has been obtained by spammers or hackers.

In such circumstances it may be wise to use an alternative email  as mentioned in the previous post.

Some scam emails can cause distress, certainly I have suffered that and the spam can pose a real danger, so avoidance is probably best in that case.

I have had many scams and tried to deal with them, but it is probably impossible to stop all the spam/scam.

The email spam tagging warns if an email is a threat, but some do get through.

I have spent a few years battling spam/scam but it is relentless, and the very best advice is to change emails.

A new private email address, just given out to trusted contacts can soon be arranged and gives peace of mind. (gmail or outlook)

The spammers and hackers are professionals  and cybercrime is very common now, just watch the tv programme watchdog.

Also the same hackers will ring your landline and ask you to switch on your computer saying you are hacked.

I get this all the time so the best defence is "not to trust" any email, phone call etc unless you know who it actually is.

The attackers are probably computer experts who work in teams and best not to reply or contact them  ever, or anger them as they make you a target.

The increasing number of posts on spam email indicates that email addresses are being hacked/scraped and posted  online, I have had experience of this myself.

Some of my scam emails repeat for many years and impossible to know who the sender(s) are  as they are always spoofed or using emails that do not disclose the IP source address or use a changing IP address. One can begin to be alarmed as I did, thinking someone has your data, passwords etc.

I have even had my old password sent to me in blackmail emails 2018-2020 about 13 attempts and use of old email contacts to send spoofed email, almost as if the hacker knows me and my contacts.

So my advice is to use a nice new clean private  new email, and just ignore (avoidance) the one that is getting spam as it may be getting attention by hackers who are clever. I intend not to even read or click any spam\scam in the future and just put it all to spam.

My other emails do get some spam, mainly unsolicited newsletters which I mark as spam as unknown newsletters seem to avoid spam filters,

I get a good few unknown newsletters also on virgin email (from a distribution list)

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 33 of 56
Flag for a moderator

SPAM SOURCES- ever wondered where spam comes from

SEE   The Spamhaus Project - The Top 10 Spammers

No wonder we get spam

One of the big ones , marketing company river city spam ceased operating in 2017 following a massive data base leak of customer data 1.4 billion accounts, with denials it used hacking techniques to deliver the spam.

see   Caught in the River City Media Data Breach - Help For Scams And Frauds

Interesting my ip address recently changed by virgin is blacklisted  on  spamhaus - I have never sent spam but the IP address previous owner may have been a spammer yet I am now on the blacklist-ironic.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 34 of 56
Flag for a moderator

SPAMBOTS OFTEN ARE USED TO DELIVER SPAM EMAIL

SEE-

What is a Spambot? - Definition from Techopedia

Free Spambot software is available on google searches so anyone can send spam.

Hackers who are spammers have these free tools available, no wonder we get spam.

The true identity of the hacker may be disguised using a vpn, tor privacy browser etc which hides their own ip address.

Virgin must have switched their spam filters to a higher setting, only getting about 1 per day now.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 35 of 56
Flag for a moderator

SPAMBOT IP ADDRESS-

Spam and scam and phishing emails- often keep repeating usually with the same sender name but changing the sender email address (spoofed) and also on inspection almost all change the sender IP address (server) and country of origin. Not sure if they can spoof the sender IP address but the last received ip address is the true source.

Spammers use spambots, domains with server open relays, or email software with an  smpt relay enable forging of emails also. (catchall email servers)

This make them almost impossible to trace.

I have noticed the same server host can sometimes be identified on some different  emails, so in some cases the spammers is using a hosted website to send the spam or may have their own server. One unusual thing is the sender sometimes uses your own name in the sender address, I get that from gmail and outlook email senders using my own name in the from sender and lasting 3 years, still sending but the IP address and country change each time.

Spambots like Canada pharmacy use spambots/botnets etc and operate in many countries such as Russia, China etc, the source continually switching, a good indicator of spambot activity.

see    What's a Relay Server? - Ask Leo!

https://askleo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do/

I am getting less spam (very few  now), is it due to lockdown closures or has virgin stopped the spammers??

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 36 of 56
Flag for a moderator

SPAM EMAILS

are they legal, they sender address should not be fake-

see

Your email marketing and anti-spam law | Business Law Donut

I think a lot of spam may be by affiliate marketing networks.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 37 of 56
Flag for a moderator

SPAM/SCAM EMAILS HAVE STOPPED?

Hope it lasts

Looking at my spam emails, many subjects just keep repeating over approx 2 years period I have monitored.

Just a few examples-

AMAZON-74 received

BITCOIN-248 received

CBD/GUMMIES-79 received

FUNERAL PLAN-37 received

INSURANCE-75 received

MORRISONS-42 received

NORTON/MCAFEE-134 received

TESCO-35 received

TINNITUS-49 received

TSB ONLINE-25 received

TV LICENCE-39 received

DATING-86 received

HEALTH-145 received

have had no spam for 6 day now- unusual.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 38 of 56
Flag for a moderator

SPAM -

Has it all stopped, mine has at the moment

Not sure if there has been an intervention by virgin media, spamcop, action fraud etc. or the spammers are on holiday.

Perhaps virgin are blocking the spoofed emails now?

No comments from virgin on spam stopping, so perhaps the spammers are just changing their servers over and taking a break?

SPAM SENDERS- identity

I noticed the spam sender addresses are often changed but usually within the sender address somewhere will be an identifier, this could be the same two or three letters, or the same two or three numbers which are used to identify the sender and will repeat in different emails from the same sender, a bit like a signature so the sender tags the email with initials or a  memorable number, but mixed in with other digits so not easily noticed, probably identifies the sender/group member. Sometimes the whole sender name repeats but with a different spoofed domain, or the name may change and the domain remain fixed.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 39 of 56
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE- spam returns?

Scam email today, after 9 day break obviously spoofed lottery scam via turkey and rome IP addresses, well known scam with youtube link.

Seems the spam/scam is never from the UK, but almost always from countries outside of the UK which means Virgin email  is vulnerable to these type of scams using worldwide servers to deliver the scam emails, however the good news is that virgin has tagged this as spam indicating that they know it is dodgy.

Advice members to ensure they have switched on spam  filtering in spam settings- I tick the 3rd option myself.

Reject All SPAM messages
Move message to Spam folder
Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox
Turn off all SPAM filtering

I noticed the spam sender addresses are often changed but usually within the sender address somewhere will be an identifier, this could be the same two or three letters exactly  (had 2 emails before from this sender with same initials in the sender address in 2019)

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 40 of 56
Flag for a moderator

UNKNOWN  EMAILS- HORSE RACING, FOOTBALL etc - gambling/betting

I get regular horse racing/football etc. emails offering services or free tips.

They are mainly unknown senders and also some from yahoo.co.uk.

The sender(s) IP address changes within a range ( the first digits remain the same  74 or 77) most times even though the email keeps repeating.

The IP addresses  for the yahoo emails are a range of ip addresses from yahoo servers london and some rate as blacklisted and suspicious.

The yahoo email headers are unusual with a large block of random text possibly used to bypass spam filtering.

These continue to arrive started in January 2019 and have had 89 emails just from yahoo and 65 others  for gambling from Australia (.au)

The sender(s) email name changes each time but the email if verified are OK so the sender seems to have many emails and IP addresses all with yahoo.co.uk

Others are just unknown senders from the UK and Australia  with changing sender names and domains each time.

Most of these gambling emails get through to the inbox, got one today not tagged as spam  and some use envelopes.

I just ignore them but they could encourage gambling using the enticement of some free tips and at some stage will want your bank details or card details.

alf28

0 Kudos