Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 51 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stopping SPAM from being delivered..

SPAM-update.

My spam has reduced a lot also, just had 2 dangerous  ones  in the last 5 weeks and both were lottery scams and tagged as spam by virgin.

One is regular and spoofs the sender as  a gmail with my own name, the other was addresses to recipients

It is interesting to check the IP addresses found in the views source headers.

see  AbuseIPDB - IP address abuse reports - Making the Internet safer, one IP at a time

I found the source IP addresses had a record of fraud, email spam, phishing and brute force, hacking, SQL injection, exploited host, web app attack and port scanning- (some dodgy servers used)

Most of my other spam relates to gambling, 25 in the last month and I just ignore them.

Virgin are doing a good job lately stopping spam on their servers, menacing spam seems to have reduced dramatically, just the odd ones getting through.

Putting them in the spam folder enables virgin to monitor the spam.

alf28

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 52 of 63
Flag for a moderator

SPAM SIGNIFICANCE OF THE IP ADDRESSES AND  BLACKLISTING (IP's listed in the header) lottery scam example.

To check spam source  the IP address "blacklisting" often informs if the IP is from a spammer or open relay hiding the true identity of the sender.

Using the aboutmyip website my recent spam was via  2 x IP addresses   blacklisted  with SpamHause,   as a known spam source   and  includes IP address of illegal 3rd part exploits, spammer IP listed on SpamCop and  SORBES spam -open SMPT relay server.

It is common for IP addresses to be blacklisted, usually dynamic IP addresses are but looking at the blacklist history can be informative to indicate how many listings exist if the email is spam and should be placed in the spam folder or filtered out manually.

This one was Detected as spam by virgin and tagged <spam>   and is a regular spam email sender via unknown servers each time but spoofed as a gmail sender address.

Very few getting through now.

alf28

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 53 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ALF28

Thanks for the information and for keeping us updated on your Spam email issue.

I'm so glad to hear that very few are getting through to your inbox now, thanks for letting us know.

Serena

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 54 of 63
Flag for a moderator

SCAM EMAIL-MICROSOFT OFFICE  365  (tagged spam by Virgin filters-doing an excellent job lately)

The email subject says -"you have new pending documents"

Originated using Microsoft azure (UK server), this is available free for 12 months if you have a microsoft account, so a good tool for scammers to use.

Suspect it may be a phishing scam trying to get your Microsoft account details, the email does has an attachment, did not click on this.

IP addresses are Germany and the UK  but the sender address is unknown -no-reply@tourplanet  (.org), spoofed as Microsoft office 365

As I do not use Microsoft office 365, this email must be a fake spam/scam email.

The email has no content (Has an image but I block html so no images show), but if you do use Microsoft office 365 some users may be easily duped by this scam thinking it is from microsoft.

The email header contains massive blocks of repeated text pages long, suspicious content but the ip  addresses are not blacklisted.

My  only other communication from office 360  (not sure if that is same as 365) was in April 2019 and was a banking fraud scam.

alf28

0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 55 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update @ALF28 - glad this one has been flagged for you.

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 56 of 63
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply

Recent unflagged phishing

Had 2 fake virgin bill notices that are spoofed to look like virgin.

They are via german servers but originate from UK ip addresses, so spoofed.

Your last bill remains unpaid  sent from    "Virgin Media" <info@bodhischool.org>

Your last bill remains unpaid   sent from    "mail@virginmedia.co.uk" <info@successtoway.com>

Most of my spam comes via germany but originates from uk servers

The server ip addresses change every time so probably  a spambot, and I have placed them in the spam folder.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 57 of 63
Flag for a moderator

SPAM EMAIL DANGERS

May not be wise to open or forward spam emails- it will alert the spammer your email is valid.

Some spam is tagged <spam>  by virgin, so this gives a warning, some spam may not be tagged so assume it may be spam if unknown or may be an unpaid bill notice from virgin media. Easy to verify by logging into the "genuine website" to check your account and not clicking on any links or images in a spoofed fake email which may bring up a fake website (phishing)

Check the headers in view source and the fake sender address will be shown

e.g.-    "mail@virginmedia.co.uk" <info@successtoway.com> (The header shows a spoofed sender address)

SEE-

What Happens If You Open Spam Email? 4 Dangers To Your Account | Data Overhaulers

I still get a few scam emails to my virgin email, the latest is capital one bank usa sent from gmail.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 58 of 63
Flag for a moderator

CHECKING IP ADDRESS-scam emails

The IP addresses found in the header of  any email can be checked for blacklisting/abuse

A quick check on my recent scam email indicated the IP addresses are blacklisted and also have abuse reports.

see- the websites abuseIPDB and .ip-tracker.org

This is a good method to verify if and email is from scammers beyond doubt.

I found that some IP addresses have multiple abuse reports, so probably a server used for hacking, phishing with recent activity.

If the IP address is clean, it could still be a scam and look at the sender address/hostname for clues of origin.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 59 of 63
Flag for a moderator

READING PANE

It may be wise not to allow "spam" emails to display in the reading pane.

In virgin webmail the email will display, however in thunderbird this does not occur, have to click the email.

It may alert the sender that you are reading the emails, so they will continue to send knowing the email is valid.

see-

The harm of having your email program's preview pane turned on and why you should not use it. | Info...

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 60 of 63
Flag for a moderator

PRECAUTIONS WHEN READING EMAIL

Email clients and web mail have settings that can make reading email safer.

This could be-

View text only  (html switched off)   Only Virgin  web mail and thunderbird or some paid clients (the dodgy links will show then often hidden with an image)

block remote content (thunderbird does this by default)

block images.

do not preview in a reading pane

Tick spam options to detect spam and put into spam or junk folder.

Each client is different but worth checking your email settings, and thus minimise the risk of spam or spoofed email.

Hacking, malware, ransomware, phishing etc  can start with an email.

see-

Dangers of spam email & how to avoid receiving it. (acronyms.co.uk)

Risks of Spam Emails and What Happens if I Open One on My PC | ITIGIC

Spam & Phishing | Phishing Scam Threats | Kaspersky

Simple rules for emailing & How to protect yourself against spam emails | Science online (online-sci...

These precautions will help protect against dangerous emails.

If the email is known/genuine then it would be safe to open and read, and click allow images/remote content but only if trusted.

My latest safe method to deal with spam\scam\phishing is "not to read it" (not displayed) and just ensure it is in the spam folder, moving it if  not tagged as  spam or marking it as spam using the options in the email client or web mail. (it may be already in the spam folder if you set spam to go to the spam or junk folder using the isp  spam settings and or email client spam settings)

Hopefully the spammers will stop sending if the emails are not read, I still get quite a few coming through.

I use the thunderbird email client which works with windows and has good security features as described.

alf28

0 Kudos