Menu
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stopping SPAM from being delivered..

The flags only show up in Webmail (sign in on web page) - not in any other email app or program unfortunately....

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Should the flag colour not help identify the cause then view the source text of one of those emails and look for the following headers:

X-Spam:
X-Spam-Action:
X-Spam-Reason:

If found then the explanation is that email was filtered to the Spam folder by the system's (spam) filters; user filter rules execute against those emails delivered to the Inbox.

TryingToBeHappy
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information.. it would seem that VM Spam filters were picking up the offending mails and dumping them into the spam folder - where they then became immune to any filters I was running. I am not sure why the filtering would be set up with this "feature" enabled but at least now i know. 

Interestingly, I had a complete week off from getting this, or any, dross... until this morning. 

Now, its not "GoodTasteStoriess.com".. now its "aatvamail.com" -- the good news is VM spam filter catches it.. the bad news is I cannot then filter it to "discard".. 

I know i could tag the mail as "not spam", and then filter it out.. but I also hear that moving things to SPAM helps the filters to work - so really do not want to do this. 

boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi TryingToBeHappy,

Once Virgin's own filters recognise the crud as spam, they're automatically moved to the spam folder. This occurs for me for anything I've set a personal filter for too - no flag colour (that I'd set) is seen, as Virgin bypass your own filters.

Having the crud moved to spam shouldn't be an issue, as they (eventually) get auto-deleted by Virgin. The benefits of folk moving their crud to spam manually or via filters, as opposed to discard / bin is that new crud can be (again, eventually) recognised by the Virgin filters for the benefit of everyone else. Bin / spam - they're just folders you don't necessarily have to go and look at.

👍

TryingToBeHappy
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thank you once again for your input.

Not sure if you, or anyone reading this, can change the operating settings - but giving the user the ability to run rules on all their folders - including the spam folders - would seem like a relatively insignificant change. 

Of course, the only reason this is even a "thing" is because there is so much of this stuff to deal with at the moment - especially with VM it seems. 

Anyway - thanks for your time. Appreciate the feedback. 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 16 of 63
Flag for a moderator

spam

I also get the goodtastestories.com and aatvamail.com  scams as well as power-speed.at, umnyeseti.ru, radiolan.sk all offering some type of dating service local to my area or Canada pharmacy emails selling dubious products.

They come mainly from Slovakia and some  from Austria, Brazil, Argentina etc., the source server and ip address change.

I must be on the same mailing list and someone else also was getting goodtastestories.com

I select my spam to go to the inbox but I then filter it to the spam folder so virgin are aware of this rather than discard, I did use to use discard but now favour filtering to the spam folder as mentioned by boothy99.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 17 of 63
Flag for a moderator

spam folder considerations-

Just a word of caution about the spam filter, emails are deleted by virgin from the spam filter, 30 days is the normal period but it can vary, I just had one deleted after 1 day, so you could loose some emails. This could be a problem if a genuine email was tagged as spam and then deleted.

Usually there is about a month of spam, but the time it remains prior to deletion is uncertain, and if you do not read your email for a while, the emails may be deleted before you have viewed them so that could be a problem with wrongly tagged spam, which can be then marked not spam.

Not sure if reading the email makes any difference to the deletion period, so if not read will it still be deleted?

My own solution is to tag as spam and put in the inbox, my filters then have two actions, one files to spam, the second action files to a holding folder so I have a permanent backup of the spam emails. If filters are not used, the spam can simply be moved from the inbox to the spam folder or deleted.

If spam  is deleted it goes to trash and is usually deleted after a period, approx 7 days is usual but virgin could clear trash anytime so is final.

The other way would be to filter to a holding file only but once read, then move them to the spam folder with a manual move, this would avoid possible mistakes of falsely tagged  spam emails being deleted.

alf28

0 Kudos
TryingToBeHappy
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate all your input.. thanks!

I am aware of the dangers of "false positives" so am also reluctant to simply discard all spam. However, where you have one persistent source it would be nice to be able to say "generally, send spam to my spam folder but, in this case just discard it". I do not want to "mark as not spam" and then filter as, surely, this will just teach the filters that its ok... 

Additionally, where the VM system (or system operators) see a particular address, or domain, is being constantly rejected by multiple users - or they could just read this board - why can they not just block it from getting through. A kind of "top level blacklist". 

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 19 of 63
Flag for a moderator

spam

gets confusing with the different system available

1. virgin blacklist

2.virgin spam settings -options to tag as spam.

3.filtering in settings with actions such as discard , file to folder etc.

There is very little advice on virgin help on the best way to set up spam controls.

The virgin email provides no whitelist/blacklist training and is probably not interactive.

I find the virgin spam tagging useful but some spam is not detected.

Spam filtering is not perfect and spammers find ways around the filters.

I prefer all email going to my inbox including spam and then I can filter to folders I choose including the inbox -whitelisting

Filtering need exact conditions or mistakes can occur and emails sent to the wrong place including the inbox, the spam can bypass the filters.

The answer is really to set up the spam filter options to best suit your own circumstances,I have tried many varieties of the filters but now prefer simple filters and whitelisting, such a shame virgin do not offer a whitelisting option, that would solve it.

I have stopped using virgin mail and switched to other free emails which are better but I monitor the spam coming in.

The latest one is a fake uk newsletter which has been copied with mistakes and sent via France, and still getting aativamail.com dating emails.

I am pleased to say virgin appear to have stopped the general spam such as antivirus, supermarket, bitcoin, just got a dating email and newsletter.

alf28

0 Kudos
TryingToBeHappy
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Yes, say it quietly, but I am now down to just the Aativa crud.  For now

Thx

0 Kudos