Menu
jmh_120
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Still use old virgin.net email but new VM customer - cannot register new account!

Hi, I've been happily using my old virgin.net account for many years (since dial up days!) and it is still my primary account. I've just made the jump to VM for broadband and I have an account number etc, engineer appointment scheduled in a week or so.  But, the system is getting very confused when I try to register as my email address is already associated with VM.  I have not been able to register my VM account, so I cannot see any details of order etc.

I accidentally though creating a new email address on my old virgin.net account to a new username would help, but I just reversed that.  Now I cannot set up a new email address with .virginmedia.com using the same start...it thinks it is already used but it is obviously not.  

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still use old virgin.net email but new VM customer - cannot register new account!

@jmh_120 wrote:

Now I cannot set up a new email address with .virginmedia.com using the same start...it thinks it is already used but it is obviously not.  

Firstly, I see that you have another thread running on the same basic issue. For the benefit of other posters and Forum Team members it is here;

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Cannot-set-up-new-VM-account-as-I-s... 

Then to explain why you cannot set up new virginmedia.com address with your old user name (the part before the @ symbol) :

When Virgin Media set up the virginmedia.com email domain they originally assumed people with existing virgin.net,  ntlworld.com and blueyonder.co.uk email accounts would want to update to the new virginmedia.com domain using their existing virgin.net, ntlworld etc  username.

In the event that never happened but VM took a policy decision to permanently block all previously registered usernames from being used with the new viirginmedia.com domain. Their reasoning was they wanted to prevent unscrupulous individuals from attempting to impersonate existing VM users.

That's how it is I'm afraid. Even after a virgin email address has been deleted you still cannot set up a new virginmedia email with the same username.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos