cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still cannot access second email address

Wibbers1
Joining in

Like others here I still cannot access my secondary email account, getting the "entered credential or authentication information does not work" warning. I have tried to generate a new app password as suggested here, but when I go into my webmail and try to edit the problem account a pop up comes up saying "The provided login data to access e-mail server imap.virginmedia.com seems to be wrong. Please correct them." When I go back to edit the account the password field is blank. If I log out of my Virgin Media account and log in again the app password has reverted to the previous one.

Does anyone have any further ideas on how to fix this? Many thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

jmildon
Tuning in

i have a similar problem I can get my email but my wife can't , hasn't had any for nearly a month vm been less than helpful just glad my contract is up soon

Wibbers1
Joining in

Anyone at all? I've lost access to my music streaming service because I cannot access verification emails.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Wibbers1 

Welcome back to the community forums

Sorry to hear you've not been able to access your secondary email address. 

Can you please try resetting your App password on your online account with these steps >  MyVM > Account Settings > Account Details > Mailbox App Password Management

Let me know if that has worked for you or if you get any of the errors you are seeing when using these steps. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Wibbers1
Joining in

Hello Carley. Thanks for replying.

I've tried the above many, many times; here's what happens. 

I change my mailbox app password as detailed above. Going into my VM email, there is a warning on the secondary email "The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them." I go into Edit Email Account and paste the new password in. On clicking save a warning box appears with the message "Validation of server imap.virginmedia.com failed due to invalid credentials". I click Ignore Warnings and then save. I get a message saying the account has been updated. If I then log out and log in again I get the same warnings as before, and if I go into edit account again I can see by the number of dots in the password box that the original password has not been updated with the new one.

Thank you for detailing this @Wibbers1 

Can you please try not pasting in your password just in case there is unwanted data captured by the copy/paste action. 

Please try typing in your password as you would like and see if this works without the error of 'invalid credentials'

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Wibbers1
Joining in

No, just the same I'm afraid.

Sorry to hear this has not worked for you @Wibbers1 

Are you able to try and clear your cache and cookies form the browser/device and see if this allows the password to be changed. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Wibbers1
Joining in

I've tried on another device that has never had the Virgin Media Email app on with the same results. It doesn't seem to accept any new mail app password I enter. If I go back into Edit after entering the new password and saving it, there is a blank box where the password should be.

Hi @Wibbers1 👋.

Apologies you are still having email issues relating to a password. We would like to bring you into a private chat and see if we can assist more at this end. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina