Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Started getting an email 'update email password' message on all my devices yesterday.

Started yesterday when all my devices, phone, laptop and ipad now say password needs to be updated. I have not changed password and I can sign in via web ok with the same password I am trying to use for my email accounts so I know it is correct.

Never had this problem before and have no idea what to do 😞

Any help and non technical please 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Started getting an email 'update email password' message on all my devices yesterday.

Sounds like a phishing email to trick you into giving away your password. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Started getting an email 'update email password' message on all my devices yesterday.

This is not an email telling me to change the password this is from the Outlook and Mail on ipad. So I cannot send or receive any emails via Outlook or Mail. I just get an email update password message from outlook and Mail on ipad. Yet the password has not changed and when I try entering it again in mail settings it still does not work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Debbie9 

Are you able to receive new email but not able to send any or does both send and receive not work?

One very simple (and non-technical) test you can try is to see if the email works OK when you are not at home, so take the iPad or laptop to somewhere else where there is wifi. You can also try temporarily turning off the wifi on your phone so it connects via 4G and see if the email works then.

What we are trying to ascertain is if the issue is with all of your devices (very, very unlikely), a problem with your email account itself (still possible even if the webmail works) or (and this is what I fear we might well find), and issue with the internet connection from your home - or more specifically the IP address.

Try these and let us know the results

John 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ok will try from another location.

Unfortunately, I removed uninstalled Outlook from my phone yesterday and tried to set it up again with my virginmedia account l but all I get is a LogIn error message so I test on phone using 4g.

Initially my email sending and receiving stopped on phone yesterday so I thought it was an issue with my phone but now get the same on ipad and laptop.

I will post what happens when I try another wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My initial thought was that this could be a VM305 error.  However the OP then reported that they are using the Outlook App for iOS and getting the same issue as with iOS stock mail app.  So I rather doubt that this is the case.

This is because while the iOS app sends the mail directly from the mobile device.  Outbound mail sent via the Outlook App for both iOS and Android actually travels to an intermediary server first and it's that server which talks to Virgin medias SMTP relays.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

My initial thought was that this could be a VM305 error.  However the OP then reported that they are using the Outlook App for iOS and getting the same issue as with iOS stock mail app.  So I rather doubt that this is the case

Given the ease with which absolute confirmation can be obtained that this is not a VM305 error I would suggest @Debbie9 consider trying the following when next on the home network:

• Open a web browser
  • Obtain your public IP Address by typing the text IP in your favoured search engine or just go here https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer
  • Highlight the IP Address result returned by the search,  for example: Your IP address is 93.184.216.34
  • Press Ctrl + C to copy the highlighted text
  • Go to Spamhaus's Blocklist Removal Centre here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup
  • Select the IP Address field and press Ctrl + V to paste the previously copied text
  • Select Lookup

The example IP Address 93.184.216.34 returns:

93.184.216.34 is not listed in the SBL
    93.184.216.34 is not listed in the PBL
    93.184.216.34 is not listed in the XBL

• Highlight the returned result and press Ctrl + C to copy the text
  • Press Ctrl + Shift + V to paste the previously copied text as plain text into your reply; this will remove any links in the result that may reveal your IP Address
  • Redact yout IP Address from the pasted text

For the example IP Address this would become:

<IP Address redacted> is not listed in the SBL
    <IP Address redacted> is not listed in the PBL
    <IP Address redacted> is not listed in the XBL
  • Post the reply

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped