Menu
Cheall
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spell check on Virgin media emails

Hi can anyone help me?

I have recently updated my PC with windows 10 and have noticed when I write a email on virgin emails there is no longer a spell check.

I am using fire fox and the spell check is on within that and works when i use open office 4 to type letters so I don't understand why its not working when I write emails on my virgin email.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Spell check on Virgin media emails

@Cheall wrote:

I am using fire fox and the spell check is on within that and works when i use open office 4 to type letters so I don't understand why its not working when I write emails on my virgin email.

Each has its own spell checker.

Right click in the text pane in which you expect Firefox to spell check and confirm Check your spelling as you type is enabled in the pop-up menu.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Barbraella
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I have just tested this, but is there a way that spell check can give you the correct way to spell that particular word, as it did in Outlook express

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The spell checker is entirely browser dependent. That's how modern programs using the web work. The don't have their own spell checkers.  I use Chrome and the functionality to display the correct spelling is automatically provided as it uses the Google based spell checker across all my web based programs like VM Mail and this Forum for example. Right click on the underlined word (which the checker works out as wrongly spelt) gives you the choices. The Outlook Express spell checker is self-contained and does its own thing. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the spell check functionality being sought is that of reviewing all misspelled words in a body of text then you will need to install a browser add-on / extension, for example something like LanguageTool's Grammar, Style and Spell Checker; do make sure to read their terms and conditions of service, and privacy statement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Barbraella
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much, if I do this, will I have to keep this program open all the time, or just when I want to send messages etc., it just doesn't automatically go to you email program ?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Barbraella wrote:

Thank you, I have just tested this, but is there a way that spell check can give you the correct way to spell that particular word, as it did in Outlook express

I also use Firefox and I am not really sure what the problem is. When you misspell a word there can be several words that might fit and any spellchecker is pushed to know which you really meant.

You just right click on the word underlined in red and Firefox gives you the likely options and it is easy to see which is the right one in this particular case. You just have to click on the one that you meant.

spellcheck in firefox.png

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Barbraella wrote:

Thank you so much, if I do this, will I have to keep this program open all the time, or just when I want to send messages etc., it just doesn't automatically go to you email program ?

The add-on / extension will be active when the web browser is in use but it can be configured to only work on specific websites.

By the way, have you considered using an email client, like Thunderbird, instead of webmail?

Barbraella
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so so much, I have just tried it on Virgin mail and it worked coenoby !!

I am truly grateful to you both for your help.

Barbara xx😉