Menu
yakacm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Spam

Virgin Media folk, is there nothing that can be done about the insane amount of spam that is getting delivered, I know it's not just me as I have seen others on here talking about the same thing. This is definitely a new thing as it stared all of a sudden in the 6 weeks or so before Christmas, I am now getting 10-15 new spam emails a day, all on similar but slightly different themes. The old Macafee antivirus ones but also endless one saying that a subscription for something or other has nearly ran out and I need to renews it ASAP, and in the last weeks or so ones saying I have funds, or it's an offer from a supermarket, bitcoin drivel etc etc etc, ad infinitum. The thing that characterises every single one of these emails is there total amateurish nature, they are so transparently rubbish that I don't think a 4 year old would fall for them, which makes it even more baffling how they make it thru VM anti spam filters (I assume VM have those), actually as I sit here and write about it I have to wonder if their actual aim is to try and con folk or more just to hammer western broadband connections as there is just so damn many of them?

0 Kudos
Sparhawk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam

Another family member started getting Mcafee, Norton, Total AV, bitcoin spam emails a few weeks ago to his VM address and I started getting them to my blueyonder address last week. At least 6 a day to each email address. They all come different email addresses and different domains. Some are text messages and some are just photos so the spam filter cant block them. Totally fed up with it now, never had as much spam ever before now.

If this has been part of the data breach last year then neither of us has been contacted to tell us we were part of it.

While writing this message another one has arrived from "support@gnu.org" with a subject header of "AlertingMessage/(268New NetViruses discovered) get protected by >>>renewingSubscription!"  but the body of the email is a single picture with embedded links which the spam filter will not pick up. If I hover over the pictures unsubscribe button then my antivirus, neither Norton, Mcafee or Total AV,  has a fit and detects a suspicious link from the email.

Note to all, please dont click the unsubscribe links.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Nothing to do with any alledged VM data breach.  It is just part of the ebb and flow of spam emails.

In the last week I have received around 40 spam emails to my Hotmail and MSN email addresses vs none to my VM addresses.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JamieY
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm I'm inclined to disagree. 

I am drowning in spam at the moment, circa 10-15 messages a day. So bad that I have the webmail open to try and mark as spam messages in an attempt to prevent my devices from pulling them down.

The key thing is one of the address they are going to is an alias of my main blueyonder account that I never, ever use... To the tune I had forgotten I set it up (the addresses date from late 01...). So it would point to coming from a data mine.

The VM SPAM filter seems to just not actually pick up SPAM... It does however stop messages from genuine messages from ShopTo...

Have there been any changes to the software? As SPAM has never been this bad before...

0 Kudos
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Looks like there are many similar complaints and that includes me. I tried filtering for apparent email addresses got some, then I tried filtering based on Mailing list, as many seemed to contain common details. But then they soon started getting through again.

However I have now  succeeded in getting all this crap moved to my Spam folder by replacing the many I had set up with a single filter:-

Sent Date     Lower    04/10/2020

I am going to copy this to others in the same boat, hopefully it will work for you too. ..

0 Kudos