Receiving this nonsense everyday 

thanks.

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam

There’s been an increase in spam to a user’s primary address since VM was hacked.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Anankha wrote:

There’s been an increase in spam to a user’s primary address since VM was hacked.

VM hasn't been hacked.  They left the door open on a database and that was dealt with after they were notified by a whistle blower.  There is no evidence that the database has been accessed by anyone other than the whistle blower.

This cannot be used as a reason to explain why some customers are seeing increased levels of spam.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham. I know I’ve seen an increase in spam sent to my primary address since the breach/access.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Anankha wrote:

Thanks Graham. I know I’ve seen an increase in spam sent to my primary address since the breach/access.

Sorry to read that but probably a coincidence. 

I was informed by VM that one of my VM email addresses was in the database concerned in the potential breach.  I haven't seen any changes in the minimal amount of spam that the address receives.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

👍Probably.

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For what it is worth, I have never received spam to my primary address, probably because it is so seldom used.

If the primary address is not used, it is a valid question as to how spammers have found it. It could be the hack of a source database or, perhaps, a cybercrook's computer using information from different sources and working out a primary address by trial and error.

If the primary address is used frequently, of course, there are many ways in which it could have fallen into the hands of spammers. I suspect the recent hacks and ransom attacks we hear about are just the tip of the iceberg.

0 Kudos