Menu
ktaylor1620
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Spam

Why is it that when I delete emails from the spam folder or empty the folder itself I keep getting the same or similar nuisances. Do I have to keep them in the folder In order that blacklisting can be effective. I tend to empty them every day or two as I get so many. Where am I going wrong?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam

I suppose it was inevitable – someone who doesn’t want spam delivered to the spam folder. 

Your spam options are these -

o Reject All SPAM messages

o Move message to Spam folder

o Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox

o Turn off all SPAM filtering 

The default is - o Move message to Spam folder

If, as you imply, that you don’t want to see spam messages then you must choose to “Reject All SPAM messages” . If you do this, you rely upon - 

(a) VM’s spam filters being able to distinguish between spam and genuine emails 100% of the time

(b) individual senders not making mistakes and attempting to send you “suspicious” emails – say with a link to a known compromised site for example.

(c) all email providers conforming to the latest – and ever increasing – set of rules. If an email service sends emails which break the rules, their emails currently go to spam. Your preference would result in those being rejected. And believe it or not – some email providers do regularly break the rules - by accident or ignorance. If you reject spam a “bounce” message is returned to the originating email provider. Experience tells me that their handling of such notifications is extremely variable. 

So – do you really want to reject all emails identified as spam without you seeing them in the spam folder?

0 Kudos
ktaylor1620
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

dear BillC45

You misunderstand. I do find the spam folder useful. My question was: Will the sender continue to be regarded as spam once I've deleted it?

How can I blacklist spam senders so that they don't continue to fill up my box?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your webmail email storage limit is 25GB. An average user will rarely reach 2GB, so filling up your webmail Spam folder should not be an issue unless you are the recipient of many thousands of Spam emails.

Furthermore, your Spam folder should automatically have items deleted from it when they have been there for 7 days or more (the 7 days is a bit of a moveable feast – it could be up to a month at times).

Deletion of an email from the Spam folder does not remove the source or subject from VM’s filters. But bear in mind that spammers are very adept at employing subtle changes to subject and sender to get round the filters. 

You can read about blacklisting senders here -

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...