Menu
ianstark
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Spam - whitelist?

I can't find any direct way to set up a whitelist in the Virgin Media email. Does it exist?

I have not used my ntlword.com email address as a primary address for many years and I have sent up an autoforwarder to send mail to my active email address. A handful of useful emails still get sent to the ntlworld address including some where a second email address is required for security, eg my bank, PayPal. Otherwise I would ditch it.

I do, of course, also get a ton of spam every day and despite VM's 'state of the art' spam filters (lol!) much of it slips through and is forwarded. Today I have had no fewer than 14 reminders that my antivirus subscription has expired. 

Anyway, to cut to the chase, what I would like to achieve is to only forward emails from specific senders.

I could not find any whitelist function, so I created a filter using the format "if FROM does not end with @xxxxx.xxx" then file into SPAM. 

It works perfectly, except that the autofowarder (which is positioned last in the filter list) ignores my whitelist filter and forwards everything anyway!

Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam - whitelist?

Edit the rule and towards the bottom of the page deselect Process subsequent rules option.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ianstark
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

Surely, if I do that it then won't forward the emails at all? 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry misread posts. Consider instead: delete auto-forward and adding rule action Redirect to to your rule.

0 Kudos
ianstark
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again!

Sorry to keep throwing up obstacles, but I did try that and exactly the same thing happened - it still forwarded all the mail as though my 'whitelist' rule had been ignored. Looks like it might actually be a flaw in the logic (mine or the filter processor!)

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Disable your rule and create new rule similar to the following making sure to position it before the autoforward rule.

2021-02-12.jpeg
FYI: the Not Regex matches those emails where the From header does not contain virginmedia.com or (denoted by | character) example.com, moves them into the Spam folder and does not Process subsequent rules, i.e. the autofoward.

Those emails that did not match the rule will go on to be processed by the autoforward rule.

ianstark
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah, that looks promising, thank you for taking the time. I appreciate it. I will test that shortly and report back.

ianstark
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

May I ask what the \ does in the filter rule?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Regular expression (Regex) have special characters that denote something other that their value, for example a period would match any character. The special character \ escapes the following character of this, for example \. will only match a period.

ianstark
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I see, thank you. I have now tested out your filter rule with my own 'whitelist' addresses and it works perfectly. Thank you for all your help 🙂

0 Kudos