Menu
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Spam sent to me, Booking.com and Ocado

For the first time in a while, I have received spam. In fact, I have received 3 spams similar in content, the usual greeting, link and sincerely yours signing; but the addressees were very different. The first two, somewhat alarmingly, included other family members but the third was different, including Ocado and booking.com, two companies with whom I have had contact.

I put the addresses on first 2 down to an address book[s] hacked at sometime in the past but the third was a puzzle. Anyone else had one of these including Ocado and or booking.com as addressees as well as themselves and others?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam sent to me, Booking.com and Ocado

@ahrbee wrote:

The first two, somewhat alarmingly, included other family members but the third was different, including Ocado and booking.com, two companies with whom I have had contact.

I put the addresses on first 2 down to an address book[s] hacked at sometime in the past but the third was a puzzle.

If Ocado and booking.com are in your address book/contacts list, they would have been picked up as part of the hack. The "hack" could have resulted from malware on your laptop or pc, or if you have an email app on your phone it could be a malicious app  which has been given access to the data held in your email app.

The worry is of course that until the malware is removed it will continue to pick up new contacts and spam them as well. The spam emails are almost certainly sent by a spambot which will not check the email addresses.

Alternatively of course the hack could have happened to one of your family members who may well have many of the same contacts as yourself.

It would definitely be a good idea to scan your laptop or pc with Malwarebytes Free https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download  Sadly, these days Malwarebytes insists on giving you a free 14-day trial of the Premium paid for edition but you can go ahead with the installation, and then dive into Settings (Click the "Account" tab and click "Deactivate")  to use the plain, free edition without getting further prompts to upgrade.

See what that scan comes up with.

If you have an email app on your phone and you want to check that as well, here are a couple of links with ideas:

https://www.avg.com/en/signal/remove-phone-virus                 https://geekflare.com/remove-malware-pc-phone/ 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I do not think I have been hacked because one of the family members who was an addressee to the first spam is not in my address book. I suspect one or more of my wider family members has been hacked in the past.

Ocado and booking.com are also not in my address book although I think I have registered with both of them. 

I have a relatively new Apple iMac which is protected by anti-virus. It runs full scans regularly and nothing has ever been shown.

I am not surprised that my address is out there but these combinations of addressees are a concern.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@ahrbee wrote:

I am not surprised that my address is out there but these combinations of addressees are a concern.

Though if that hacked family member has Ocado and booking.com in their contacts it would be no surprise to see them included as addressees.

There are a couple of things that are unusual with the phishing emails you are seeing though.

1) Most "professional" scammers use the BCC (blind copy) function to hide the list of addressees. An elementary error to put them all as CCs.

2) Also, in most cases when they use information from a contact list to send phishing emails with a malicious link (like the ones you are seeing) they spoof the sending address so that the phishing email appears, at least at first glance, to come from someone you know. That is to try and make you think the email is from someone you know and thereby increase the chances of you clicking on the link. (Although looking back at your first post perhaps they are doing that because you do say "the usual greeting, link and sincerely yours signing;"?)

Whatever, it seems the sender is bit inexperienced in the art of scamming / spamming 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Whatever, it seems the sender is bit inexperienced in the art of scamming / spamming 😉

Well, let's hope so! The e-mail addresses were spoofed and I did not register the underlying addresses of the first two. I tend to delete fast but only after forwarding the last one to report@phishing.gov.uk. It came from a hotmail.com address.

0 Kudos