Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Spam emails

I am receiving a lot of spam emails recently. Can anyone advise how to stop them. They do not seem to be picked up by Virgin spam filter!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam emails

There’s been an increase in spam since the data breach for me, currently spam with an .eu address seems to be popular.
You can add spam addresses to your email filter but as these are often spoofed they’ll eventually start again.
You can report them to Virginmedia phishing@virginmedia.com however this seems to be only for reporting emails which claim to be from VM rather than general spam.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I really think the potential data breach that VM reported earlier this year is a red herring as far as spam is concerned.

Despite being informed that my email address was on the database that had been open, I have not seen any increase in the minimal amount of spam I get on my VM addresses.

There still hasn't been any evidence produced to confirm that the data concerned was accessed by any group other than the whistle blower.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

See the 'Phishing' thread (which I have just revived) where this was discussed a month ago with suggested filters in webmail and mail applications to send at least those e-mails from .eu addresses to junk where they can be erased.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I try to use the block email address option, but still recieve them and when I try to block again there is only the un-block option available. I have started to forward to phishin@virginmedia.com, is that correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My 'solution' has been to use what is known as a regex filter in webmail; and another filter in my Mail application on my Mac. The webmail filter was suggested by VIPs on the 'Phishing' thread where you can read how to set it up. These are filters rather than a blocks; and, one way or another, they work well enough to shift most .eu e-mails to junk where I erase them. In recent weeks, just one has slipped through the net to my Inbox but it is now easily recognisable.

I suspect most people's e-mail addresses have been collected and sold to scammers unless they have been very careful. I hardly use my 'official' e-mail address and it is untouched by spam; but the main one we use is clearly out there with the fraudsters. Several friends who had that e-mail address in their address books have been hacked; and I have recently heard from a charity that the company operating its supporter database was hacked in 2018 exposing names, addresses, e-mail addresses and phone numbers. My wife and I now assume phone calls are scams until proven otherwise; and are very wary of questionable e-mails. That is, as they say, life.😞

0 Kudos