Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Spam emails

Hello. I keep receiving spam emails from certain senders and even by adding their address to the Blacklist, they continue to arrive.  Any ideas on how to stop these nuisance emails?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Spam emails

Filters and blacklist don't do much, as spammers are constantly changing their product in small ways to outwit anything you can do!  So I'd delete those completely and instead I advise checking your settings in webmail:

1. Click the System menu icon on the right side of the menu bar and then click the Settings menu option.
  2. Select SPAM Settings.
  3. Select the required SPAM setting:
  • Move message to Spam folder (default)
  • Reject All SPAM messages
  • Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox
  • Turn off all SPAM filtering

4. Navigating away from the SPAM Settings page will save the setting selected.

Are these messages going to the spam folder already?  If so, the VM spam filter is working.  The sender keeps trying, and VM puts them in the spam folder!

The ones that don't get caught by VM spam filter, I just mark them as spam and the filter does soon learn.  When I have time, I also report them using Spam Cop.  It is a little complicated to join up, but then the reporting works very easily.

If some (or all) are coming to your inbox, you can try the advice similar to this post.  I've not used it yet - see what you think. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-emails-Save-yourself/m-p/4053858/highlight/true#M178...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello and thank you for such a quick and comprehensive reply.  Having checked as you suggested my SPAM settings were ok.  I'm now installing MalwareBytes.  Kind regards Graham

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If when blacklisting an email in your Inbox you see the following warning:
2019-09-19.jpeg
then the blacklist filter is not working as intended.

If the blacklisted email is in your Spam folder then it is working as intended.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Spam emails & blacklisting seems useless

Been receiving spam from a selection of senders for a few years now, no doubt the same junk that's being sent to millions, such as Dragons Den, Costa Coffee, CBD Oil, Funeral Plan, and Primark, etc just to name a few.

Have always blacklisted & marked as spam, yet they still get into my inbox and the whole process has to be done again. I understand that spammers make slight changes to the senders address in order to slip through, but the titles & wording are exactly the same, as are the senders domain name, email provider, etc, therefor spam filters & rules should have no issue in spotting these messages and sending them to the spam folder, it's simple enough for us to check our spam folder to see if anything has been dropped in there by mistake, then one click puts it where it belongs, into the inbox.

However Virgins method of blacklisting and then marking as spam is so long winded that it can easily waste an hour re-doing the blacklisting & spam marking for messages that have been done many time before. This is all made worse by the fact that if you batch select a group of spam messages, and just one has already been blacklisted (and remembered by Virgins system), it fails to blacklist any and your forced to do them individually, surely Virgins system should simply blacklist those that haven't already been done (or remembered) out of the entire batch, not force you to individually mark each one.

Then it's all made worse because recently many of these very same emails are now being flagged as 'Newsletters' and will not batch process when trying to mark as spam, so you then have to mark each and every one individually, you are also now offered the option of 'Unsubscribing', which will actually send a reply to the sender asking to unsubscribe your email address, this totally defeats the object as it alerts the sender to an active email address and triggers yet more spam & junk mail from those & others that get sold your email, marked as active.

It should be a simple matter for Virgins system to recognise emails with the same or almost identical title, subject, and content. If they do get through and you batch select to blacklist then all should be blacklisted, updating the list with any new or changed senders along with retaining any existing ones. And when marking as spam it should simply do this regardless of type of message, not attempt to get you to reply with an unsubscribe request.

The whole process is long winded enough to start with, requiring several clicks to both blacklist & mark as spam, now with the newsletter part added it now takes even longer to do, especially considering that many (if not all) of the messages should already be blocked to begin with. Also when you blacklist a sender, the selected messages & anything from that sender should automatically go into the spam folder, there should be no need to repeat the process to dump them into spam, after all if your blacklisting someone you obviously don't wish to see messages from them appear in your inbox.

Lastly, my messages are forwarded, it seems that Virgin may have a problem with this because the amount of spam that's blacklisted & marked as spam in Virgin Mail that gets sent through is unbelievable, and those are all checked and confirmed as still blacklisted & spammed in Virgin, yet they still forward them. I mark them as blocked in my client and it doesn't allow any sent directly to that email address to get through (just takes one action), then Virgin slings the next lot forward, which of course land directly in my spam folder on my client, because that client is Gmail and it does the job perfectly. When Virgin ditched Gmail for their own cheaper less efficient email service they dropped the ball big style, they don't have a team with the skill set to run their own client properly, which is why it's incapable of properly dealing with spam & phishing, and falls flat on it's face when filtering messages to be forwarded. The early days were particularly a nightmare and saw a hell of a lot of people ditch Virgin Mail completely, i personally grabbed another Gmail address to use as my main email, and it's worked flawlessly, apart from the amount of junk that arrives from Virgin, but at least Gmail knows exactly where to put it. Virgins greed has ensured they won't ever pay to use the Gmail client again, that's what destroyed their email service to begin with, but they desperately need to headhunt some programmers from Gmail or any other client that hasn't made a joke of their email service, and stop using cheap cowboys who are still proving to be incompetent at getting the basics right.

Moving house at the moment, 2nd time in less than a year and should be the last, will be well settled just after the New Year so going to seriously ditch my Virgin email in order to switch all of my accounts, subscriptions, etc to my Gmail, and once that's done i'll be looking into ditching all things Virgin, I may just keep the broadband, but it will all depend on price considering that Sky and even BT are providing excellent broadband services in my area, confirmed by several people who've been with them for some time.

Constant price hikes & services offering no better, or less than others is sounding the death knell for Virgin, most of my family & many friends have ditched them due to this and are only too happy they did, so will all depend on what discounts are on the table when i ring Virgin.

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I also get the same spam emails as you mention,blacklist only puts into spam,so I set filters up to discard but the spammers keep changing sender address in email so very hard to stop. Gmail is better to identify spam automatic and similar with most web based email, but virgin filtering is not as good.

OF recent the spammers can even bypass  virgin spam filters so not tagged as spam, so either virgin let them through or their spam filtering not as good as Google gmail for example.

Virgin allows secondary emails and my new address has no spam at all, so that  is one solution or go with free Gmail.  Outlook, yahoo etc.

Try keeping a new email adress secret to avoid spammers getting address, that is good advice, old emails may be on distribution lists or hacked lists.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you ALF28 and those others who kindly provided their advice.

I have been using the filter and disgarding those addreses (or part thereof) and this has helped but, as ALF28 says, doesn't catch all.

They are a constant frustration and concern, really VM should be doing more to filter out these bogus senders.

It only adds to the regular bogus telephone calls I (and others) receive.  Again VM don't appear to do anything about these and neither does the ICO whiom I report their numbers to.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just remembered I tried forewarding virgin mail to gmail similar to you also, it worked well filtering all spam with good emails going to in box,

However spam is delted after 30 days so will be no longer available but it adds a layer of protection.

A copy can be left in virgin inbox if the  box to leave a copy after forewarding is ticked,

However it is not easily workable as it means reading in gmail but sending in virgin.

If virgin email is not used then forewarding can remain useful in a new email to monitor old email in a new virgin email or another company email. 

I did do this for a while and may do it again, but if forewarding to another virgin  email it may still  not filter spam so perhaps a different web mail is useful.

I remember virgin used to use gmail service until a few years ago but now have  their own system.

folders can be set up in any email to divert incoming email adress to a selected folder, this might be useful for forewarding in new email so old emails would go to a folder .

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

Does look like we have to do all the running around to try and avoid SPAM. Kind regardd

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

View emails in text only switch off html which block malicious code and images. ( in settings under email)

Less chance of infection that way. Hackers can put scripts in html code.

I use malwarebytes pro and free avg seem very good at stopping trojans etc.

Also be careful clicking on links especially short form links like ow.ly  for example a short form web site link that can be anything/unknown link.

I find  andoid tablets good for email,less prone to infection but also use widows 10 which is better for printing etc.

I used to get many infections mainly from web sites or emails but with care they can be avoided.

ALF28