Menu
rmcd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spam emails constant secondary account

Please help. My account is secondary to my husbands and for months I have been receiving constant spam mail. I have tried everything including changing password which stopped me getting into my emails and had to change it back. My antivirus doesn’t cover it. I access emails via web on laptop, and by app in IPhone and Amazon Fire tablet. Cannot get through to Virgin and no online chat help available. I’m going mad with this. Virgin why can’t you protect customers from this?!!! 

PLEASE HELP!!!!

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam emails constant secondary account

Changing your email password is unlikely to help reduce spam, it will only help if your email credentials are being used by the miscreants behind the spam.

You could check that your VM spam settings are set to move spam emails to the spam folder.  This should be the default setting.  You can check by signing into your account at https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and clicking on the settings icon and then email.

A different approach would be to set up your own email address with an email provider independent of your ISP.  That would also give you complete control over the account.  In your current setup your husband has full control over your account and can change your password if he so chooses and even delete the account.  He also has access to all you email correspondence via the account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

rmcd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, how can my husband change my password please? 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@rmcd wrote:

Thanks, how can my husband change my password please? 

Sorry if this has been a bit of a shock for your independence, but as the account holder your husband can change passwords on the primary account and any secondary accounts via his My Virgin Media account.

He has to Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

This is another reason why it isn't a good idea to rely on accounts that other parties have control over as they have absolute control and can read all your emails, change the password and even delete the account if they so choose.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

rmcd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks.

I have checked spam settings are set to move spam to spam folder, however they are coming into my inbox. I balcklist , send to spam, then double delete them, but some blacklisted ones still get through along with many other new ones daily. In fact there seems to be more spam since doing this.

We are not tech savvy but I can follow instuctions, however creating a seperate acount for myself seems rather daunting. I would prefer not to transfer to another ISP for now, again I would need physical assistance which is just not available in the current situation.

I have seen online that changing password stops spam. Could you explain why this is nit the case please?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

0 Kudos
rmcd
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

We have tried to change my password through my husbands account, however when I change password it says its invalid.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information Rmcd.

Did you reset the password on the My Virgin Media account and follow the password rules? 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
rmcd
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

No as mine is a secondary account. Tried to change it but it wouldn’t allow me to. 

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi RMCD, 

Thanks for using the forums to get help with this online account issue, I can see Graham_A gave you some really useful information here - 

• As the account holder your husband can change passwords on the primary account and any secondary accounts via his My Virgin Media account.

Can your Husband please try doing this for us instead of trying to change the password on your own account please?

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos