Menu
Marie11
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spam email

Hi a few time I have had spam emails in my inbox, which I have deleted.  A couple of times they have been fraudulent ones after money, so I decided to forward them onto the government phishing site.  For some reason I was not allowed to do this because they were scam emails.  How come though, these scam emails were allowed to be delivered to my  inbox then if they come up as scams, just a thought.

Thanks for your help and  please no sarcastic comments.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam email

Thank you for telling me how to reply - whoops, a touch of sarcasm there.

VM's policy is if incoming mail is marked as spam at any stage the outgoing servers will not allow it to be forwarded. There are ways round this but it generally isn't worth it. If you've had the spam so have thousands of others and they will have reported it.

One of our regular VM users @MissPasko sensibly recommends the use of SpamCop to report spam mail. She is well placed to advise you on how to do this and should respond here shortly.

OK?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Marie11 wrote:

… How come though, these scam emails were allowed to be delivered to my  inbox then if they come up as scams, just a thought.

Between receipt of the misidentified spam email and your attempt to forward it the spam filters have been update to correctly identify it. Should the same spam email continue to arrive in your Inbox post back here for further help.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Marie11
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks very much for your reply, it is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Marie11
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank for your reply, with a touch of sarcasm, it is appreciated (not the sarcasm).  I put that comment on because, last time I used this forum, which I do not very often, I got quite a few sarcastic comments, which were not justified, as I am not well up on computers, we all have to learn.  

MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Marie11,

HowardML has asked me to give some info on Spamcop.   Once set up, you just open the email in webmail, click the red three bar menu, and select view source.  This is the header that people sometimes talk about.  It is the email in code form.  Copy that information, paste it in the window at spamcop and submit.  Each email takes less than a minute to report.  Spamcop use the header information to inform the owners of the servers being used for spam.  It helps get that resource cleaned up.  Of course, the spammers just move on to other insecure servers.

It is a bit fiddly to join up, but I like feeling I have helped.  You go to spamcop.net, and register.  The fiddly work is setting it to recognize that the header information relating to VirginMedia is NOT the spam source.  There are instructions, but it still took me a few tries - but then it is done forever.

I am glad you are interested in learning - we try to help and educate at the same time.  You can spread the word in your social circle about fighting spam.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Marie11
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help, I will have a go at doing what you suggest. Thanks again.
ALF28
Rising star
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From my experience, it is not virgin blocking the spam sent to action fraud, it is action fraud themselves  blocking it because it already has got it. I have proved that  for definite, so do not worry they may have already got the spam off another person. If you look at the action fraud web site it confirms this.

I also thought it was virgin blocking spam forwarding but not always the case, it is the destination server blocking it action fraud.

Virgin servers  may block some phishing emails sent to them containing spam content but should not block emails forwarded to  action fraud.

It is hit and miss with spam reporting, but if one does not work just accept that but the next one may work. I now try to report every spam/scam to as many phishing/abuse  reporting services as I can, sure it must help to stop them.

Any spam sent from a virgin email address/ip can be reported to virgin using the net reporting form which requires headers information or forwarded  the phishing email address. I have also had recent email addressed to somebody else so reported them via the virgin net reporting form.

Some marked spam can still be forwarded to virgin ( I have proved that),  but not always the case but still worth trying to report the spammer and scammers each time sometimes it gets through. Also some emails not marked spam still can not be forwarded due to spam content. It is mad.

Also I often forward spoofed emails to the phishing address for companies/banks/amazon/netflix/virgin etc, mostly they work.

The spam cop I have not tried (but may be worthwhile) but if the spammers get blocked they quickly just switch  to different sender sources, that is why the spammers regularly change their fake/spoofed /forged  addresses. Some use thunderbird to report spam as the success rate is better using the thunderbird server.

Best to paste in the headers into the message when reporting spam. I suspect spammers add spam content deliberately to make reporting more difficult, so sometimes I just send the headers and not the email can get around the problem and using forms to report to senders domain.

Just my thoughts, as I have had similar issues myself and have posted myself on these issues.

alf28

Marie11
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated and for taking the time to reply.