Menu
PI
Tuning in
Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Spam & Data Breach

Virgin have breached my data and left my information open for 10 months or so.  I'm receiving lots of Spam is there a connection? I'm blacklisting these senders and marking as spam but this does not seem to be helping as the same are getting through? What is Virgin doing about this?

george_g
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam & Data Breach

the easiest way to get a hold of someone is to message our first-line support on our live online chat.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@PI wrote:

Virgin have breached my data and left my information open for 10 months or so.  I'm receiving lots of Spam is there a connection?

You are not the first to ask that question. The fact is that there may be a connection but spammers get email addresses from a range of different sources so there may be no connection at all.

Here is a link that describes three different ways spammers may have got your email address. Virgin Media email users are vulnerable to all three approaches even though they are probably completely unaware of it. https://www.lifewire.com/how-spammers-get-email-addresses-1173992

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@george_g wrote:
the easiest way to get a hold of someone is to message our first-line support on our live online chat.

IMHO it is unlikely that first line support would be able to help with this issue constructively.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@PI wrote:

Virgin have breached my data and left my information open for 10 months or so.  I'm receiving lots of Spam is there a connection? I'm blacklisting these senders and marking as spam but this does not seem to be helping as the same are getting through? What is Virgin doing about this?

Consider using an email service that has:

• security equal to or greater than the service it will be used with
  • better spam filtering

Best of all, you will no longer have to worry about losing your email address(es) when moving to another ISP.

If changing email service provider is not an appropriate option then:

• stop using the Blacklist function to handle spam as it has a limited capacity and matches against the complete email address; not helpful when a generic pattern is needed to match the minor changes miscreants make to not trigger spam filters
  • read @boothy89 post here Multi-spam Filter Rule - (Re: Email rules) which to overcome the shortcomings with the Blacklist function and Virgin Media's spam filtering

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

Consider using an email service that has:

• security equal to or greater than the service it will be used with
  • better spam filtering

Best of all, you will no longer have to worry about losing your email address(es) when moving to another ISP.

If changing email service provider is not an appropriate option then:

• stop using the Blacklist function to handle spam as it has a limited capacity and matches against the complete email address; not helpful when a generic pattern is needed to match the minor changes miscreants make to not trigger spam filters
  • read @boothy89 post here Multi-spam Filter Rule - (Re: Email rules) which to overcome the shortcomings with the Blacklist function and Virgin Media's spam filtering

Perfect response for content and meaning, but it is boothy99 who has been diligent with the anti-spam filter posts.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GMAN73
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I have been getting more spam each day, had an official email from Netflix asking me to reset my password, obviously some trying to get into my account, BTN Btcoin spam, spam pretending to be from Asda, Amazon, Virgin Media etc.

VM said they are contacting everyone affected I feel I’m one of the many affected, but so far I have heard nothing from them.  

I can probably see me ditching the email in question.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko, thank you for catching my mistake; @boothy99 sorry for mistakenly crediting boothy89.

boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

No worries, 用心棒, ...and thanks for the correction MissPasko 😁👍

GMAN73
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

lots of spam this morning fake email accounts from Argos etc, guess I will just need to ditch this email account now, Ive had it for 19 years, thanks a lot VM.