cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Spam Spam Spam (and I don't mean Monty pythons Vikings)

FarTallKnight
Dialled in

Right, now that the issue over the big email crash of 2023 is resolved and my lost files are restored as are my lost folders (well, they are for me anyhow), the amount of spam emails, scam emails, phishing emails and assorted junk I am getting is overwhelming! It seems that Virgin email no long has a spam filter, I can go into the tools section and add blocked domains, email addresses etc but its like trying to plug a 6 inch hole with a 2 inch cork! half my inbox is spam this, scam that, phishing links blah, blah, blah! I am not daft enough to click on them and I delete them but dozens a day? Sorting the wheat from the chaff is becoming a daily chore!   

Any replies would be appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

After the big email fiasco, why are you continuing to use a VM email account?

Instead of putting lots of time and effort into dealing with all the spam VM has served up for you, start the process of switching to a decent email provider which offers a reliable system with better features and security.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

goslow
Alessandro Volta

After the big email fiasco, why are you continuing to use a VM email account?

Instead of putting lots of time and effort into dealing with all the spam VM has served up for you, start the process of switching to a decent email provider which offers a reliable system with better features and security.

FarTallKnight
Dialled in

Well, I've got a few generic ones: a Gmail account, an outlook and an iCloud account and tend to use them more these days than VM, and if I could only persuade swmbo (she who must be obeyed), to join forces we could drop the VM but it'd take a while. The thing with my VM BY email address is, I've had it so long it feels like a part of me and so has swmbo, although her name @by & my name @by are simply pseudonyms as the underlying email box is a long winded number and a few letters because we technically have a shared box, and I know they use it to make you feel like you're tied to them like BT & Sky

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @FarTallKnight 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear you're having issues with spam emails. 

If you receive any concerning emails that claim they are from Virgin Media you can forward these to us at phishing@virginmedia.com so we can investigate further. 

You can find more information here if needed on how protect yourself with fraudulent emails 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The future of VM email is far from certain, and as you have found it is not reliable. Follow the excellent advice to move over to your other accounts and get rid of the VM addresses. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@FarTallKnight wrote:

Well, I've got a few generic ones: a Gmail account, an outlook and an iCloud account and tend to use them more these days than VM, and if I could only persuade swmbo (she who must be obeyed), to join forces we could drop the VM but it'd take a while. The thing with my VM BY email address is, I've had it so long it feels like a part of me and so has swmbo, although her name @by & my name @by are simply pseudonyms as the underlying email box is a long winded number and a few letters because we technically have a shared box, and I know they use it to make you feel like you're tied to them like BT & Sky

Well, some general observations for your situation would be ...

VM's email service has been a mess for many years and has gone through various incarnations in that time. New customers to VM cannot now create any VM email addresses and existing customers cannot add any more VM email addresses to their account. This was decided some time ago and one take on this is that it is likely to be signalling the end of VM offering email at all. The latest email fiasco will, no doubt, prompt many people to give up using VM email which could well push VM towards saying that the number of users is too small to continue providing the service. All of this is nothing more than speculation but you can come to your own conclusions.

If VM did decide to close its email service down, you would be working to transfer all of your existing email contacts, and linked services, in line with a timescale set totally by VM.

I ditched using VM for email back in 2010 and probably had 20 years’ worth of contacts and services linked to those old VM accounts.

It is certainly do-able to rid yourself of VM email but it is best done on your own timescales (not one which might be imposed by VM) and it is best done over a reasonable period of time (so you can chip away at it methodically, bit by bit, until you are free of VM email altogether).

I did all of my transfers over the course of a year. This meant that I could pick up any annual emails for things such as insurance renewals etc. and make sure they had been changed to new email addresses. I started with the most important services (such as banking, main online shopping accounts, online services and utilities etc. etc.) and then gradually worked my way through the less important ones until all were moved. Once I thought everything was moved over, I kept monitoring the VM account(s) and mopped up any of the last messages still coming in.

It took some time but was well worth the effort. I now use a small hosting company for email and rarely have a problem with email. If I do, I can log a ticket online. I get a fast response and most issues are logged and resolved within an hour or two.

And you are quite correct, many customers feel locked-in to using VM for their broadband simply because of their historical ties to a VM email address.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FarTallKnight wrote:

I can go into the tools section and add blocked domains, email addresses etc but its like trying to plug a 6 inch hole with a 2 inch cork! half my inbox is spam this, scam that, phishing links blah, blah, blah!

If the situation is as bad as you make out it would seem that your VM email address is well known in the spammers' world and you cannot put the genie back into the bottle. Things can only get worse.

Even if VM get their spam filters up and running again that is not going to solve it. Most of the spam and scam emails may well  be swept under the carpet into your spam folder but they will still be coming into your account in droves. Inevitably, some will still through into your inbox.

The only way you can stop that is by ditching that VM email account. That's what I did a few years ago when I retired. My (non VM) email account that I had used for 20 or so years for business and social was getting more spam than genuine emails so I switched to Gmail and a different  private domain email.

As @goslow has posted, switching all your online accounts over is not too onerous if you do it over a period of time. The added bonus I found was that in the process  I discovered I had dozens of online accounts that I never used so I took the opportunity to dump them as well.

If you have other non VM email accounts you are part way there already!

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @FarTallKnight thanks for getting back to us.

If you do go ahead and follow the advice of your fantastic fellow community members, then decide you wish to have all Virgin Media mailboxes deleted, please do reach out to us on here.  We'll then reach out to you privately and make those arrangements on your behalf.

Regards

Lee_R

VM email -spam overload.

The advice in the posts is good and I have switched to other emails such as gmail and outlook.

I was not aware that a primary email can be removed  by the forum team, unless the rules have changed.

(Can this be clarified)

I still do get emails from contacts from over 10 years ago, so changing emails can take along time to catch all your contacts and change them over, and can take years to complete,so perhaps wise to keep the VM email active in some cases, or remove at some stage if that was possible?

I also note VM do sometimes send emails themselves to your primary email as in the recent email outage that lasted a few days, so may be useful for these notices.

I do manage to filter most of my regular spam to folders so they are isolated from the inbox.

The VM primary email is very prone to spam, especially older emails.

I have tested my VM email today and it seems to be working.

I also recently had VM sending me mail delivery fail noticed to another of my emails (outlook) saying no emails can be delivered, but as I had sent no emails,  it must have been  a spammer or hacker spoofing my email addresses. The email sent was from the Netherlands via Bulgaria and was not sent from VM but from a Bulgarian IP address, so was may not have been a genuine message, just hackers messing about and the email content was rubbish.

Hi @ALF28 thanks for your reply.

We can raise a request to the IT Team for this to be deleted so it is something we can look at if necessary.

We appreciate that you may wish to see how things go for a little while before you make your decision but if you would like us to delete the email address, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W