Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Something fishy happening @ Virginmedia.

Today I received an email from Virginmedia saying I successfully changed my password. In fact it was half a message as only half of the message was downloaded to my phone.

I did not request a p/w change so I go into panic mode. I try to log into MyVirginmedia but surprise surprise my p/w is incorrect. I try to reset my p/w but just going around in circles.

I ring Virgin media and I am on hold for 15 mins. Eventually I get through to a human and my p/w is reset. I ask how this could happen and the answer I was given is that somebody in my household has changed the p/w. No I tell the rep.  VM do not keep logs of p/w attempts or when p/w's are changed I was told. Basically the rep just wanted to get rid of me with no explanation of how my p/w mysteriously changed. I was getting nowhere.

All the above happened today Sunday 19th July @ 12:35

When I logged back into my email on mobile the VM message disappeared. Then another VM message appeared in my inbox stating 'Thank you for agreeing your new contract' or something along those lines.  I can't tell you exactly because that message also disappeared from my inbox.

VM what is going on?  The thought of somebody hacking into my account and reading my emails and banking statements is not a nice feeling. The customer services rep just shrugged it off and stated that I have my account back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Something fishy happening @ Virginmedia.

You need to work through all the steps set out here to secure your account:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Graham for your reply.  I had already changed my p/w, but I did not know about 'auto forward' of email messages, which was thankfully unchecked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is important that you change your security answers as well as the password.

Also do scan your equipment for malware etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

After following the steps to re-secure your account consider also signing into webmail and selecting ☰ > Quit other sessions > Yes, close all other sessions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos