Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow Emails

The email account of my external website is taking up to 30 minutes to receive messages via my Samsung phone.  The same emails arrive immediately on MS Outlook 2013 via my PC.

My email provider (website host) is convinced it's not an issue on their side and Samsung take no blame.

None of my other email accounts are affected (Gmail, Hotmail, NTLworld etc).

Anyone know if there's a possibility that a fault lies within the VM structure?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Emails

We have no reports of slow e-mail delivery via VM mail servers. We have had such reports so we would be sure to know about this. VM's customers are quick to respond to such incidents in large numbers. So I don't think VM are to blame here, at least not at the moment. And if they were you'd see the delay across all your devices. And you don't..

We could do some diagnostics, or rather you could do some diagnostics via MX toolbox to see where the delay may be occurring. You'll need the mail header for this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you reply.  I've been into MX Tools as you advised but I'm clueless how to interpret the results.  Do you mind looking at it for me, please?

Here!

Regards
Declan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wrong tool. I said you need to use the header from a delayed mail and then use the header analyser (paste the header in) in "MX toolbox - more".  The results are self explanatory. You will see what is happening because the tool provides a narrative.and an obvious timeline.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I zoomed rashly and immediately to the MX toolbox - missed your vital last sentence.

Thanks once again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your website host appears to be Heart Internet or Host Europe - both subsidiary brands of USA company Godaddy – one of the biggest hosting companies in the world. In March 2018, Amazon Web Services (AWS) announced that GoDaddy is migrating the vast majority of its infrastructure to AWS. Which might explain why your emails take longer to arrive at your website. It’s called global network rationalisationand your emails could be making a trip through multiple data centres/countries/continents (delete as appropriate) before they arrive at their destination.

Note that NOBODY can guarantee delivery of email from point A to point B within any given period of time. Your 30 minutes might be as good as it will ever get.

To analyse email headers in MX, login to your external mail service – whatever that is – and copy the complete source of an email (how you do that depends on the email service you are using). In MX select “Analyse Headers” in the black band at the top of the page and paste in the complete message. That will generate a report showing where your email was at various points and times on its route from start to finish.

I am continually amazed by the widespread expectation that email delivery is instant. It’s akin to believing that you can drive completely round the M25 any day of the week at a constant 70MPH.

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well, I must be a lucky, lucky man - my expectation arose from the fact that, for many years - until last Friday - emails to my account via my Samsung app, always arrived within seconds.

I decided to remove the account from the Samsung app and re-add it. This didn't improve anything.

I removed it again and added it using IMAP instead of the original POP3.  The result, after a multitude of tests, is that emails are once again arriving within seconds, the fastest hitting 11 seconds, the slowest 27 seconds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Declanworld wrote:

Well, I must be a lucky, lucky man - my expectation arose from the fact that, for many years - until last Friday - emails to my account via my Samsung app, always arrived within seconds.

I decided to remove the account from the Samsung app and re-add it. This didn't improve anything.

I removed it again and added it using IMAP instead of the original POP3.  The result, after a multitude of tests, is that emails are once again arriving within seconds, the fastest hitting 11 seconds, the slowest 27 seconds.

Hang on a minute, POP3 isn't a push email protocol, the receiving system (ie your phone) has to initiate a pull request to receive new emails. Are you sure, you didn't somehow have the phone re-configured to sync every 30 minutes? That'll explain the lag perfectly!

IMAP behaves differently and is normally a push email protocol.

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That was always set at 15 minutes - I'd seen it regularly (thought it was something to do with syncing non-Inbox folders) when being taken by Samsung and Heart Internet during their separate unsuccessful attempts to resolve the issue.  They never mentioned that - they were more concerned with server and security settings.

0 Kudos