cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing Out of all Devices

valisle
On our wavelength

Hi

I have changed my password. Is it possible to sign out of all devices at once?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

It's funny you should say that. I had a thought over lunch. VM web mail allows you to choose the duration when it automatically signs you out. So you can have a session running under the old password. You might want to terminate that at a password change. The option in web mail to quit all sessions doesn't do very much. In the past we wondered what it was for.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
I'll grant you that - no it doesn't. But what tends to happen with spammers is that shoot and then run, with no repeats. And a password change will prevent further misbehaviour.

Tbh there probably isn't a definitive answer to your question. You've done your best.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
I don't want to prolong this discussion unnecessarily, but for the sake of future visitors to this thread we should close the story. So I'll do this without giving too much comfort to any spammers reading this, though I suspect they know this already. @valisle cannot achieve precisely what he wants within the currently accepted international standards for the operation of e-mail systems. Changing passwords will stop future abuse but (as I suspected) cannot be guaranteed to stop abuse while a current session of mail is open.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The best way to understand what's happening here is this.

VM currently have two authentication systems running side by side.

1. A single sign on system using a mechanism called Oauth2 - used when accessing webmail My VirginMedia and other VM services.
  2. Plain text logins (what Google euphemistically calls less secure) - which is used for POP3/IMAP/SMTP

Oauth2 sessions will authenticate once and so long as the user has not been logged out, when the user opens up the same device then the Oauth2 system uses the existing authentication information so that the user does not have to manually log in every time.  What the Sign out of other devices command does is exactly that.  It revokes all other Oauth2 sessions, except session the user issues the command from.

Plain text logins normally happen each time the user connects.  But the Oauth2 system cannot revoke these sessions.

Thus currently all it does is close any logged in webmail sessions in other browsers/devices.

I have confirmed this with Windows PC, Linux PC and Android Tablet.  Shortly after selecting close other sessions on one device - the other two devices automatically logged out.

One would hope that VM would extend Oauth2 logins to POP3/IMAP/SMTP in the near future, however we shall have to wait and see.  VM would have to consider any possible complications it would cause.

Tim

Edit - the last paragraph is my own personal opinion.  I am not a VM employee.

18 REPLIES 18

MissPasko
Super solver

Good question valisle!

When using VM webmail, and signing out, there is a menu option to "Quit other sessions".  I have never been signed in with more than one device, so I don't know if that is it.  Can you try it and report back?

valisle
On our wavelength

Thank you MissPasko.

I found the menu option. However, it doesn't seem to log out of other devices.  Having received an email stating that my email and log on details hav been sold illegally, I wanted to make sure that all were accounts were logged out.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

Perhaps some clarification would help. But I'm struggling as to what this question is actually about.

If you have changed the password for an e-mail address in My Virginmedia and then logged out, the change will automatically be reflected when you next log into My Virginmedia or web mail. 

If you are already logged into web mail and you decide to change your password the web mail session will stay live until you log out. when you next log in you will need your new password. 

The option in web mail is to log out of concurrent web mail sessions on that device and on all all other devices that you might be logged into. But most people I know use one device at a time for web mail. So logging out of that is all you need to do. Use the concurrent session option if you have other sessions running on that device and then log out fully.

What else are you contemplating? Are you think that you need to log out of your non-VM accounts that use that e-mail address. Well the answer to that is yes, if you want to. But there is no VM command that will do that for you automatically. 

Speaking for myself, I was reading valisle's question to mean - How do you force any other email clients to stop accessing the mailbox?  Or another way to word my question which some people might have - If an email client is signed in with the old password, and never deliberately signs out - will the VM system allow further access to a customer's mailbox?

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

It's funny you should say that. I had a thought over lunch. VM web mail allows you to choose the duration when it automatically signs you out. So you can have a session running under the old password. You might want to terminate that at a password change. The option in web mail to quit all sessions doesn't do very much. In the past we wondered what it was for.

valisle
On our wavelength

The reasdon I am asking about logging out of all devices is because I receicved an email saying that my email and password were being sold illegally. I had received a couple of scam emails showing an old e mail password.  I changed my current password and wanted to ensure that all devices with my email open were logged out to force the need to log in with new password.

It has changed as I logged out and required to use the new password word to log in, but I just wanted to make sure that anyone with my details illegally was also logged out.

valisle
On our wavelength

Yes. Spot on. 

valisle
On our wavelength

I want to log out of all sessions in case someone is using my email account illegally.