Menu
TargetedIT
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Set Up Additional Email Address in Outlook for Office 365

The main user login for Virgin Media, with an @blueyonder.co.uk address, has been set up for years, working correctly. There is also an additional (or alias) @blueyonder.co.uk address, also has been set up for years, working correctly and working on an iPad.

We now need to set the additional address up in Outlook for Office 365 on a new Windows 10 laptop. The settings have been checked against Virgin's help instructions. Each time I try to set this up in Outlook, I get the message "Cannot logon to incoming (IMAP) server". For a test I tried using Windows 10 Mail, with the same result. 

We have logged in to My Virgin Media with the main user login and have changed the additional address password, so we know what it is, still cannot set it up in Outlook.

From dealing with a Virgin Media additional address many years ago, do you have to use the main user login to authenticate? I seem to recall something similar but, I'm not certain.

Thanks for any help.

Graham

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Set Up Additional Email Address in Outlook for Office 365

A quick though, other than the fact that Outlook in all its forms should work properly with VM mail. Make sure that the authentication for the new address is the full e-mail address eg joe.bloggs@virginmedia.com. If your existing accounts were set up some while ago they might be using settings where only the name before the @ symbol was sufficient for authentication. That is not the case with the current unified settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On the password question:

Alias addresses share the same mailbox and password as their parent address.  If the parent address is the primary username then the alias addresses are shown on the My Profile tab as 'alternate' email addresses.

If the additional email address is a secondary one, appearing under the Manage Accounts tab, then it will have its own password and mailbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

TargetedIT
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it should work but, doesn't. The full email address is being used for authentication, I did think about that at some point. Why can't we login with Webmail though? That doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What error messages are you getting when you try to login to webmail with the secondary address?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
TargetedIT
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, after 1 final attempt at changing the password, it's all working!! I can only think that when we tried changing the password yesterday, it didn't accept the changes. 

We can now access webmail and Outlook is also set up and working.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI TargetedIT, we are glad to hear that it is all working, please let us know if anything changes? ^Chris 

0 Kudos