Menu
alan5151
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Server timeout WLM client error 800ccc0e

I have Windows LiveMail client on Windows 7 PC. IMAP connection.  Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)  The interface has always been a bit unstable : and there are LOTS of queries about it gong back years , but no clear answer.

Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system. Configuration:     Account: xxx
   Server: imap.virginmedia.com    User name: [removed]
   Protocol: IMAP    Port: 993     Secure(SSL): 1     Code: 800ccc0e

and " Unable to send or receive messages for the alan-new account. Header download for the 'Deleted Items' folder did not complete. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity."

Repeated clicks on "send/receive"  will usually eventually succeed , but often you get emails stuck in the outbox , and its not clear if they have gone or not. (Sometimes the "send" works , but not the local move to local sent  folder) .

This week its been a disaster : almost always timeout. A support contact claimed some sort of software upgrade work , but no-one  understands it. Its  better again now , back to 15% failure rate. 
"help"...!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Server timeout WLM client error 800ccc0e

You might have saved yourself a lot of time and effort if you had read this thread first:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/RESOLVED-Intermittent-Email-Issue-POP3/td-p/4284151

There have been problems for part of last week and up to yesterday with the VM mail servers. They should be fixed now.

The error message you are seeing is about a failure to connect. It isn't uncommon and would be indicative of those past problems

Relying in WLM as your e-mail client for the obvious quantity of e-mail transaction you have is simply not sensible. The client hasn't been supported by MS for a long time, gets no security updates and is now deprecated for use. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And Microsoft also tells us that -

“Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020. If you are still using

Windows 7, your PC may become more vulnerable to security risks.”

Sounds like you need a new computer.

0 Kudos
alan5151
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for pointing me to the correct huge thread.. I would only say 

a) WLM suits me fine , even though it is old

b) Ditto Win 7 !

c) I phoned VM c/scves twice , and they failed to mention this bug. VM CS are truly hopeless (as most posters here agree)

d) Although its  back to "usually works".. it is far from 100% reliable connectivity, and , like everyone else , I cannot face another long phone consult with VMCS person who has no idea.

e) Its a pity they didn't publish the outage on the service page!

0 Kudos
alan5151
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I reply to Bill45C , I would just say that it would be helpful if VM took these faults  more seriously ,  (Note that the thread he refers to is now 10 pages long ), and although VM say it is "fixed" no-one agrees with that assertion .. To say I need a new computer is not a helpful response! 

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You probably bought your computer sometime between 2009 and 2015 with Windows 7 already installed.

Last official major release of Windows 7 - February 2011 - SP1.

Roll-up patch updates (sort of SP2) available until April 2016.

Mainstream support officially ended on January 13, 2015.

Extended support ended on January 14, 2020.

No further security updates.

You don’t say what make and model of hardware you are using – but I have to tell you that whatever it is, your computer will have been left behind in the performance race.

This quote of yours from your first post above -

Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system.” - is an indicator of slow hardware capability.

Initially you probably had a broadband speed of no more than 54Mbps. And most of your neighbours would be similar. I’m guessing that you now probably have 100Mbps. And your hardware probably cannot utilise anything above 100Mbps in any event. And Win 7 could run in 1Mb of Ram. Don’t even think about running Windows 10 in 2Mb or less – it will be slow or fail. If your current computer only has 2Mb of Ram and you decide to move to Win 10, installing more Ram is not the best answer. Get a new computer.

Your computer, and its broadband connection is in competition with all VM connections in your area, many of which will be 200 or even 350Mbps coming from computers with much faster CPU and solid-state-disc speeds than yours. If you are in an area where demand is high, a neighbour with a faster computer and broadband speed will achieve multiple transactions in the time that yours takes for one.

My oldest computer in current use is a Win 7 laptop bought in 2011 which I upgraded to Win 10 last year. I use it mainly as a data backup store but can confirm that it struggles when connecting across the network.

All of the above and more besides suggest to me that you need a new computer. I'm trying to help you find a way forward.

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oops - just noticed a typo in above post - Ram should be in Gb not Mb.

0 Kudos