Menu
Clive-L
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Server error: '550 5.1.2 Recipient Domain Invalid (VM521)'

I've seen similar posts to this one, but I'm getting the above error for a specific target email address only (at gmail.com). I have my own secondary email address at gmail.com and can send to myself with no problem. I have checked the validity of the email address in question at  https://email-checker.net which says it's fine. Since I can receive fine at my own ntlworld.com address from this recipient , and since I can forward an email from my ntlworld address to my own secondary email and then forward on to the problem email address, it suggests the problem is at the Virgin end.

I can't say I fully understand the information below but it seems to support some kind of Virgin connected issue. Any suggestions welcome.Screenshot.jpg

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Server error: '550 5.1.2 Recipient Domain Invalid (VM521)'

First issue Server error: '550 5.1.2 Recipient Domain Invalid (VM521)' is due to recipient's domain not having a valid DNS mail exchange record (mx), i.e. the sending mail transfer agent cannot determine where to transfer the email to.

Second issue, send the email via the sender's email server and not Google's.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Clive-L
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure I follow this advice.

1. I understand what the message is saying. Just not why two recipients at gmail.com get different results when both are valid.

If I send two emails; one to my own gmail address (successfully) and a second to the failing gmail one, are you suggesting that the invalid mx record relates only to the left side of the @? As I pointed out, the intended receiver is valid. As indicated in my post, I checked this out by successfully validating the recipient's email address at https://email-checker.net which presumably interrogates the mx records (it certainly claims to)?

2. As for your second point, I'm not really sure what you mean. The sender's (i.e. me) email server is either smtp.ntlworld.com (and we already know this fails), or Google's if I sent via my secondary address.

Is there a chance that this relates to security level (i.e. password authentication)? I don't have this switched on (purely because I cannot get it to work)! Still doesn't explain why every single other one works just fine though. 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Clive-L wrote:

I'm not sure I follow this advice.

1. I understand what the message is saying. Just not why two recipients at gmail.com get different results when both are valid.

If I send two emails; one to my own gmail address (successfully) and a second to the failing gmail one, are you suggesting that the invalid mx record relates only to the left side of the @? As I pointed out, the intended receiver is valid. As indicated in my post, I checked this out by successfully validating the recipient's email address at https://email-checker.net which presumably interrogates the mx records (it certainly claims to)?

No, not suggesting that at all.

It is odd that you should see a VM521 error under the circumstances described. Have you confirmed there are no typos in the domain of the email address that causes the issue? Yes, then for the moment I am stumped as to the cause.

2. As for your second point, I'm not really sure what you mean. The sender's (i.e. me) email server is either smtp.ntlworld.com (and we already know this fails), or Google's if I sent via my secondary address.

The tool in the image shown in your initial post is checking the viability of sending ntlworld.com emails via Google's servers; fails due to SPF record for ntlworld.com

Is there a chance that this relates to security level (i.e. password authentication)? I don't have this switched on (purely because I cannot get it to work)! Still doesn't explain why every single other one works just fine though. 

I would have thought not given you can send to other gmail.com email addresses

0 Kudos