Menu
canigetacookie
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.

Not sure if anyone will be able to help but I'm getting the above message when I try to get my emails from my @virgin.net account. To make matters worse I can't even log into my VM account as it doesn't recognise my email address...

Any help or info would be gratefully received,

Dave.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.

@canigetacookie wrote:

@virgin.net account.

I can't even log into my VM account as it doesn't recognise my email address...

Any help or info would be gratefully received,

You seem to have been overlooked for some reason so I'll step in.

The big question is whether you still have a Virgin Media Broadband account and if so did you get your virgin.net email address transferred to it?

Virgin.net addresses date back to the old ADSL service which Virgin sold off to TalkTalk so you may never have had a VM broadband account.

VM still support virgin.net email addresses but the bad news is that unless a Virgin.net address was transferred over to a Virgin Media fibre broadband account, VM should have closed it down years ago as per the terms of the move of ADSL service to TalkTalk.

Unfortunately, many of them obviously were overlooked and are still being used today but as soon as they come to light VM does close them down without warning.

I'm sorry to say that from the explanation in your post your Virgin.net account is gone for good unless you have a VM broadband account .

If you are a VM broadband account holder there is a very small chance that the Forum Team (VM employees) can help you but even so it is probably too late.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is a scenario that crops up quite often on this forum.

The best thing is to set up a new email account with Gmail, Outlook.com or your email service of choice and move on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

canigetacookie
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your detailed response, you guessed correctly I'm no longer a customer and didn't realise I needed to updaty email address. I'm going to miss my .net email address but I'll take your advice and move on.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond,

Dave.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@canigetacookie wrote:

I'm going to miss my .net email address but I'll take your advice and move on. Many thanks for taking the time to respond,

Thank you for taking it so philosophically, not many people do in your circumstances. The news often results in a lot of acrimony and bitterness from the original poster.

In my opinion VM should send a warning mail before they nuke one of these old 'orphaned' accounts but sadly they never seem to.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks