Menu
DavidBleby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sent email blocked and marked as spam

Hi,

I'm trying to forward an email to a family member but it keeps getting blocked with the following response from the system administrator:

'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     FW: Jobs

Sent:  08/05/2021 17:39

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'***.*****@ntlworld.com' on 08/05/2021 17:39

552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) fPyllNK9QS4EffPyllTRB7'

The message originates from linkedin and this happens whether I forward it or send it as an attachment. Please can someone tell me why this is happening and how to stop it?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sent email blocked and marked as spam

Should the spam filters fail to automatically clear the false positive after 24 hours post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

FYI the data spam filters use to trap spam is continuously being adapted to match current threats; where false positive occur they usually automatically clear themselves.

As a temporary work around consider:

• forwarding the email as a PDF
    compress it before sending if Spam Content Found warning persists
  • use an alternative (non-Virgin Media) email address to forward the email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DavidBleby
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the issue has not cleared so I have used one of your alternative suggestions.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @DavidBleby 

Thank you so much for your post to our forums. I am so sorry to see this has been affecting your emails. 

Can I ask if the work around provided by @用心棒 is working OK for you? Do you know if the recipient has had any other issues with their email at all?

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

DavidBleby
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ashleigh_C,

I managed to send the message using gmail. As far as I am aware the recipient has no issues with their emails.

Kind regards,

Dave.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding Dave! I'm glad you were able to find a work around! Can I also ask if this happened to only one recipient or was it multiple, also has it only been when forwarding linked in? 

Thanks again.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DavidBleby
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

This is the only time I've tried to forward an email that contains links so I am guessing that it is the hyperlinks that were being detected and being marked as possible spam content.

Kind regards,

Dave.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

OK no problem. Should this issue happen again please let me know and we'll look into it further.

Thanks again.

Ash_C
Forum Team

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Ashleigh_C 

With respect, I think you need to escalate this so the outbound spam filters can be checked.

@DavidBleby - Are you using Outlook to send?  That "bounce" suggests you are, It's not really a bounce message.  Outlook is encountering the error when trying to send the mail vie VM's outbound relays - you can tell by the VM603 error.  If it was being bounced by he inbound one's you'd see a similar bounce but with MXIN603 as the error code instead.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Less anybody think that @ravenstar68 is making a sole plea for this thread to be looked at again by the VM team here, he is not. I have long been concerned that the capricious nature of the outbound spam filtering process on the mail relays at Knowsley is making like unnecessarily difficult for VM's own customers.

I have no doubt that VM are right to ensure that their outbound mail relays are not used by spammers but making life difficult for ordinary customers transacting ordinary business by email in the way this thread so eloquently depicts should not be part of that design.

This capricious filtering happens time and time again. This part of the Forum is full of such cases and instances. The last one I dealt with was blocking a URL to a support site for my local branch of MENCAP - for heavens sake! That VM have a process that annoys and potentially harms ordinary customers for no real reason is quite beyond me. And we know the process is hardly affective because the Knowsley relays are being blacklisted time and time again by spammers who are using the relays undetected by outbound spam filtering to send spam. 

@Ashleigh_C

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks