Menu
jdtswan
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sending emails

Is anyone else having issues sending emails (SMTP), both from Thunderbird and android native app.  Nothing has changed, but it stopped working a couple of days ago.  I have checked my settings and they are correct, but no message will send.  The only way I can do it is via virgins webmail page.  Email client keeps asking for a password, it's never done this before and I have not made any changes.  Receiving emails fine though.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jon

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following command where username:password is replaced with your email address and password,  i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\|VM"))

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jdtswan
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting < 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305).  Although it is the exact username and password I use for my webmail account.

Kind regards

Jon

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the VM305 error is an indication of spambot activity on the network from which you ran the curl command, if:

0 Kudos
jdtswan
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much, I'll look into it.

Kind regards

Jon

0 Kudos
jdtswan
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm running wireshark and not picking up any traffic on port 25.  I ran antivirus scan, came back clean, although from what I read Spambots are very difficult to spot.  I changed my password on Virgin account and now I can send emails successfully!  Not sure if this is permanent solution, but I wanted to thank you for your assistance.

Very much appreciated.

Jon

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This will probably take you longer than you think.

Note that such spam is usually sent out direct through a router port (usually number 25) and completely by-passes your usual email service routes. Note also that if a spambot operated 24x7 sending out spam in a steady stream, it would be relatively easy to spot. Most spambots are therefore programmed to wake up at periodic intervals (hours, days or even weeks between activities), blast out large amounts of spam and then return to sleep for unpredictable periods. This invariably makes detection a much harder and seriously longer process as, Spamhaus, for example, may drop you from its lists after a day or two of inactivity – and you then get added back again when the bot wakes up. This could repeat ad nauseum until you find and erase the source of the spambot.

0 Kudos
jdtswan
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This sounds like a nightmare situation.  I can't locate where or what the bot is, let alone remove it.  Thanks for the advice again.

Jon

0 Kudos