Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sending emails from apple

Over the past month I've been unable to send emails through my ntl account using my Apple tablet, phone or iMac. I keep getting 'user name or password do no match'. I've contacted Virgin Media who reset my password to try and synchronise the servers but this did not resolve the issue. I've been on the help page and followed 'setting up an email account on mac' using both the IMAP and POP settings but I keep getting the same problem 'Unable to verify account name or password'. I can access my email inbox through the online web browser but when I try to forward emails to either my apple or ntl address they are not received, but, getting emails from other sources is fine. However, in the setting I have to tick 'unified mail for this account'. Can anyone help with this problem? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails from apple

On your iMac open a Terminal and  type the following command:

curl -v -url "smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com" --user ​my_email_address

where my_email_address should be replaced with your email address. When prompted enter your password and towards the tail of the output there will be a line starting either <  235  or <  535, post just that line here.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Laraine1948, your post revealed your username (email address) and password so I have moved it to a private area where the forum team will remove. Please do change your password.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The line < 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305) indicates your public IP Address is on Spamhaus's SBLCSS and a device on your local network is sending out spam, read more here Searching for Spambots on your network.  To confirm the listing on Spamhaus:

1. Open a web browser
  2. Go to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer
  3. Select the IP Address shown after Your IP address is 
    FYI
    : this is your public IP Address and should never be posted on any forum
  4. Go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  5. Enter the IP Address from step 3 into the Enter an IP Address field and select the Lookup button
  6. An entry beginning with the IP Address from step 3 will be shown followed by the text ending listed in the SBL, similar to:
    spamhaus-sblcss-00.cleaned.jpeg
    It is safe to ignore the PBL entry.

Do you have a Windows 10 device on your network with Ethernet and Wi-Fi to help troubleshoot the issue?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

… should have added that if you do not have a Windows 10 device then  the issue can still be troubleshoot from your iMac. If after reading Searching for Spambots on your network you still need help post back here.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the assistance. I've changed my password.

I do not have a windows machine only Apple.

I'm afraid the 'Searching for Spambots on your network' was very much over my head and I couldn't manage this.

However, I managed points 1 to 6 which showed the same details on the screen for my I.P. address.

Is there anything else I can do?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On the off-chance, if you have Hola VPN installed on any device remove it as it is a know source of spambot activity.

Wireshark (or similar tools) provides a precise method to locate spambot activity on devices whereas other methods are likely not only to be inconvenient but scattershot in approach. 

Do you have a family member or friend who might understand 'Searching for Spambots on your network' and be able to help you? If not  I will try to put together a step-by-step guide to help you locate the spambot when/if I have time. In the meantime can you summaries what type of devices are connected to your home network, for example, iPad, iMac, Smart TV, etc.

Also, are you able to connect to the internet using an Ethernet cable from your iMac?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your patients and help with my problem. I think we have resolved it. I enlisted the help go my son and between us did everything you recommend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That is good to read.

Out of curiosity, which device was identified as the source of the issue and did you manage to track what on that device was the cause?