Menu
El_Defensor
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sending Username Failed

Ekh00buW0AYI7ry.png

This has been happening for ages, on various email accounts, with no pattern. It happens when checking for new messages.

The passwords are correct, and have been re-entered correctly numerous times, but still the error keeps happening.

Thunderbird support seems non existent!

Fix required as it sooooo annoying.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending Username Failed

The first thing to point out is that this is not a Password error

The error message you are getting states 'Protocol Error'.

Which means that for some reason when passing the username across the POP3 server didn't like something about the string it received from Thunderbird.

Normally when you pass a Username and Password to a POP3 server it's done like this

user <redacted>
+OK
pass <redacted>
+OK Logged in.

If you try to do something unexpected such as pass the password before the username, or use an unsupported command we get:

capa
-ERR Protocol error.

I've just loaded up Thunderbird and set up one of my VirginMedia accounts to use POP3.  The account logged in successfully.  So it doesn't appear to be a simple case of blaming Thunderbird.

What Antivirus program are you using?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
El_Defensor
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was pretty sure it couldn't be simply a password error, by the number of times I've gone through this. If I enter the password then try again things work. Also if I click "cancel", then Get Messages again most times it works, just occasionally this needs repeating a couple of times.

I'm using Norton Security. The settings show below have not been manually changed.

Clipboard.png

I might add I'm not having any other similar issues with other applications.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@El_Defensor wrote:

I'm using Norton Security. The settings show below have not been manually change

Ok, looking at your screen shots a couple of things come to mind.

1) The protected ports, 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3 are simply the ports that Norton has as defaults. However, they are not the ports used by Virgin Media so currently the ports used for VM email traffic are not being protected by Norton. These are VM's recommended settings:

Inbound Server: pop3.virginmedia.com
Port:    995
Security: SSL
Username: Your full email address e.g. joebloggs@blueyonder.co.uk

Outbound Server: smtp.virginmedia.com
Port:     465
Security: SSL
My Server requires authentication - ticked
Use same settings as incoming server - ticked

I don't think you can remove ports 25 and 110 from Norton's settings but you can add POP3 995 and SMTP 465 to Norton's list of protected ports to ensure that they are covered. See here how to do it: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v54476805?client=norton&site=nrtn_en_US&x... 

2) You will see from the VM email settings above that their incoming and outgoing servers use SSL encryption. However, Norton does not support virus scanning for SSL encrypted email servers. You will see it actually says that in the Norton Support link I have given above.

Even for non SSL encrypted servers there are differing opinions  on whether it is a good idea to have incoming and outgoing emails scanned by your AV software. Take a look at Norton's information on the subject here: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v96137879 

Personally I would turn off the Norton's Email Antivirus Scanning (the last image in your post). I am not saying that is what is causing the error you are seeing but it will remove one possibility. 😉

You will still be protected from viruses. Even, if you do have an infected email attachment downloaded to your inbox, Norton will detect and deal with it as soon as you try to open the infected attachment.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby 

That's a red herring.

The mail scanning element in Norton is only able to deal with:

• POP3 or SMTP
  • Unencrypted traffic.

Therefore in monitors traffic to and from remote ports 110 or 25 only.

Tim

0 Kudos
El_Defensor
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When trying to add the protected ports as you suggest Norton displays...

Ports.png

So that's out.

I previously tried unchecking the Scan incoming & outgoing messages boxes, but that made no difference.

I've now turned it off at the Email Antivirus Scan, though that brings up warnings of Issue Found & Norton wants to "Fix Now".

I'll try it briefly but I'm not totally convinced.

0 Kudos