cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending E=mails from Outlook and Sony L1 Smartphone.

thomas30
Joining in

I cannot send E-mails Microsoft 365 Outlook and my Sony L1 Smartphone. When I launch it I get an error message saying 'Something went wrong and Outlook couldn't save your account settings' I have tried changing the password but still doesn't work. How to I find out what sort of account I have and my Userword?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@thomas30 wrote:

I have tried changing the password but still doesn't work.

Just recently Virgin Media have made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that sign in to your My Virgin Media account and go to the "Account details" tab as you did when reset the password

Then scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in to Outlook and whichever email app you use on your Smartphone.

Try that and see if it resolves the error you are seeing.

How to I find out what sort of account I have and my Userword?

Sorry, I don't know what account you are referring to so I cannot help you there.

Regarding Userword. The only "Userword" I have heard of is an app that can be used to generate passwords and usernames to use with online accounts. I don't think that's what you mean but in any case I have never used it so I cannot help you there either.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@thomas30 wrote:

I have tried changing the password but still doesn't work.

Just recently Virgin Media have made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that sign in to your My Virgin Media account and go to the "Account details" tab as you did when reset the password

Then scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in to Outlook and whichever email app you use on your Smartphone.

Try that and see if it resolves the error you are seeing.

How to I find out what sort of account I have and my Userword?

Sorry, I don't know what account you are referring to so I cannot help you there.

Regarding Userword. The only "Userword" I have heard of is an app that can be used to generate passwords and usernames to use with online accounts. I don't think that's what you mean but in any case I have never used it so I cannot help you there either.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, my Smartphone e-mail is working, at it will probably work on my PC, but I'm getting an error message when Outlook Launches saying 'This data file has not been configured. select an existing file to configure, or type the name of an new file to create', which I'll have to ask Microsoft to help me with.

Outlook is once again not sending and receiving e-mails despite changing my mailbox app password.