Menu
globbits90
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Send from webmail using own alias / domain

Hi, is there a way to send from webmail using your own domain?

I have email forwarded from a doman to my ntl account but i would like to be able to send email from it so that it shows as coming from the domain, rather than exposing my ntl / virgin media address.

In the webmail you don't seem to be able to change the "sender" address.

You appear to be able to manually add email accounts, but as it is just a domain that redirects email to my account, I don't think I can do this as the domain is not a mailbox as such.

Is this even possible through webmail? I am assured by others that it used to be possible as they have done it. Did virgin remove this functionality?

Thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Send from webmail using own alias / domain

I had to scratch my head on this one. It's along time since this question was last asked. The answer is that the VM system is pretty basic and doesn't have this facility. As you have worked out. The previous system (before 2015) was based on Google Apps for ISPs and I think did allow this. But Google closed the Apps offer to ISPs in 2015.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It is certainly possible if the domain has its own IMAP and SMTP servers, but if it is just a forwarding setup then I'm not sure that is possible via VM webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It might be possible, but sadly I can't try it out for you as I am not a VM customer anymore and have lost access to webmail.

Go into settings and add the account as if you were adding a third party account with your personal email address.

Then when it comes to adding the server details, use the following servers:

imap.virginmedia.com - Port 993 SSL/TLS
smtp.virginmedia.com - Port 465 SSL/TLS

For your username use your VM email address, and of course the relevant password.

However before you do this you might want to have a read of this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-email-using-your-own-domain/td-p/3716147

Basically you need to add VM's SMTP servers to your domains SPF record by following the advice in the thread.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 Thanks for that clarification. 

I do have a forwarding account from a university alumni address that I might test this out with, although there is no way to get the VM SMTP servers added to the SPF record for this email address.

I hope it helps @globbits90 to resolve their initial query.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A 

If you want to try I can drop you a PM with a domain to use (mine).  I've just amended my SPF record.

Tim

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68  Thanks, will contact you when I get a chance to try this out.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

It might be possible, but sadly I can't try it out for you as I am not a VM customer anymore and have lost access to webmail.

Go into settings and add the account as if you were adding a third party account with your personal email address.

Then when it comes to adding the server details, use the following servers:

imap.virginmedia.com - Port 993 SSL/TLS
smtp.virginmedia.com - Port 465 SSL/TLS

For your username use your VM email address, and of course the relevant password.

However before you do this you might want to have a read of this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-email-using-your-own-domain/td-p/3716147

Basically you need to add VM's SMTP servers to your domains SPF record by following the advice in the thread.

@ravenstar68, I can see how this would work for manually composed emails but not when using filter rules, i.e. auto-forward / redirect.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 I think the forwarding in this scenario is from the third party domain forwarding emails to a chosen VM address rather than any forwarding within the recipient VM email address

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

@Graham_A 

If you want to try I can drop you a PM with a domain to use (mine).  I've just amended my SPF record.

Tim

I have just checked and as I am only on the free version my bristolalumni email address is only accessible via their providers webpage.  Increased access is available for an fee, of course.

0 Kudos