Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Secondary accounnts

I have secondary virginmedia.com  email accounts which are managed from the primary account.

Does this mean if the primary account was hacked the hacker would have access to these secondary accounts and see the emails listed and ability to change password and security question.

It has not happened but just wondered. This is probably no different to other companies but as there is no 2 step security or recovery email system a hacker could easily change security question and control all of the accounts.

So the simple security of the primary account could risk the secondary accounts as there is no system to prove identity such as sms text used by Amazon,  ebay, PayPal,  Google,  outlook,yahoo for example.

Also the use of another email address owned by the customer is usually used for confirmation of changes, a non virgin address like Gmail. Com. This would make it safer and harder to hack.

In spite of suggested improvements  or observations of poor password only 10 digits and no symbols etc the virgin forum seem unable to achieve top class security to match that of Google or microsoft.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Secondary accounnts

@ALF28 wrote:

I have secondary virginmedia.com  email accounts which are managed from the primary account.

Does this mean if the primary account was hacked the hacker would have access to these secondary accounts and see the emails listed and ability to change password and security question(?)

The credentials (email address and password) used to access a Virgin Media primary email account also allow access to the customer's 'My Virgin Media' account and from there you can change the password, or even delete, any secondary accounts linked to the account. So the answer to your question is yes.

It has not happened but just wondered.

It may not have happened to you but do you know that it has never happened?

In spite of suggested improvements  or observations of poor password only 10 digits and no symbols etc the virgin forum seem unable to achieve top class security to match that of Google or microsoft.

For the most part, Virgin Community Forum members and Very Insightful Persons (Superusers) are VM customers so can only make suggestions.

Clearly Liberty Global (the multinational who use the 'Virgin Media' branding for their UK operation) has taken a business decision not to undertake any major improvements to their very basic email service. They just don't see themselves in the business of matching Gmail or Outlook.com.

I have been a customer of VM for many years and I am still very happy with their broadband and TV services. However, I have never used their email service as my main email address and my advice is that no-one else should either. 

Your post highlights the key security issues but the poor telephone support, unreliable webmail offering, poor/'quirky' spam filtering and the general lack of development of VM's email service are factors to consider as well.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Secondary accounnts

thanks for the brilliant reply and response to my concerns on security. I am of similar mind and now use other email clients also. The advice answers totally my curiosity regarding the technical issues of security and perhaps now I know the score and accept that virgin email will never match the security of gmail or outlook as they are massive companies . I agree the other services have been great broadband/tv/phone and maintenance so am generally happy with the service and the email is still attached to the account so I just keep it but with limited usage now.

0 Kudos