cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary Account - Migrate to Main Account

rctempire
Tuning in

Hello All,
Long time VM customer and wondering the process of this.

I have a ntlworld.com email as a secondary account under my fathers account. 
He is the primary holder of his along with my email as a secondary.

Since moved out years ago and have my own VM account with a different email.
However I do still use this email and wish to try retain it or move it to my own account.

Is this possible to move it as a secondary to my main, the reason for this is over the years used this account for many items which wish to retain if possible.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No. It's not possible to split email records like that.

I would recommend migrating away from the ntlworld email as it's tied to your father continuing services. If he closes his Virgin Fibre service at any point, you will lose the email address 90 days after it does.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Not the best option that.

So there is 100% no way to migrate the email address or take that email and make it my primary?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only migration option that can technically be done would move all mailboxes from your Father's account to yours - but you'd then end up with his primary account as yours and then he'd be reliant on you continuing services to keep his mailbox running.

There is no way to achieve what you're looking for i.e. move the mailbox and make it your primary.

Ah ha, so that could be done, his primary account couldn't be a sub account on my new account then?

This is a tad annoying, so after 90 days the email ceases, could then the email be brought back to life under my own account as a sub account again?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I said that's the only technical way it's possible. There are account and data protection restrictions that would certainly stop it being done while both accounts are active.

Usually the mailbox transfers are only done when the account they're coming from is closed - and that's usually because an automatic transfer has failed when someone has moved home, not to do what you're looking to do.

Excellent thank you.

Essentially it's toast really and would have to loose the account.

If the whole email was brought over as it was and the standard account ever be promoted?

If not then how can I try start the process of moving over the sub account/whole old one to my new account? 

I understand though that a recent change to the Ts&Cs for doing this now require both accounts to be in then same name - with an exception in the case of a bereavement. So although what @BenMcr proposed is probably 'technically' possible, I believe that the request will probably be refused on these grounds.

Also if it were to be done, the move would also permanently delete any and all email accounts associated with your 'new' VM broadband account.

Hi Jem
Thanks for answering. 
Have zero additional accounts on my own primary, plus its not a virginmedia address its totally separate now.

Just seems a shame to loose a personal email when i currently am a VM customer and potentially if my father did leave VM, i would loose that.

So the time has come it seems.
My father will be closing his VM account and moving to another provider.

So what are my options? I have other emails, but haven't fully migrated over every old account as yet.

Let it die off naturally? I still am a VM customer in a different location (and will be for some time due to lack of competitors in the area) Can i migrate it in as a secondary account to keep it going for now?