Menu
JAS106
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SPECIAL PORT LEGACY

Hi Trying to set up eMclient have been informed by eMclient that special port legacy is not a prefered connection, Can you tell me if Virgin Media only use this type of port connection I am no IT expert and just following instructions from Virgin Media POP3 when I put in there settings it does not connect I have to go into diagnoses it searches for the settings and ends up with special port legacy settings which eMClient say its not a preferd port connection .

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SPECIAL PORT LEGACY

Without having heard the full conversation I can't comment on the emClient staff member, but here's what I do know

Special Port (legacy) setting is the old standard for most email servers.  

The correct term for such connections is Implicit SSL/TLS - implicit, because connections on port 995 MUST negotiate an SSL/TLS connection before contimuing.

The other form of SSL/TLS connection is explicit.  This form uses the port as insecure connections and then, assuming the server advertises it can do so, asks to upgrade the connection to a secure one by issuing a STARTTLS command.  SMTP submission ideally uses this on port 587, and more and more mail exchangers are now using StartTLS when receiving mails from other domains.

The normal setting for POP3 with emClient is

pop3.virginmedia.com
Port 995
Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Username is Full email address
Password 

SMTP

smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465
Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Username is full email address~
Password

If you set the username and password on the General tab then you can select use identity details instead.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JAS106
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply just a simple question as I am not IT the POP3 settings you gave me are the safe settings to use and do not use anything else.Whats thrown me is Virgin media never mension legacy settings in there links they sen you. John

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

emClient are the odd one's out in that I've never seen ANY email client other than them use the term SSL/TLS over Special port (Legacy)

More common for most clients is to see the following terms

SSL/TLS which is the same as SSL/TLS over special port (legacy)
StartTLS which is what emClient refers to as Use SSL/TLS if available and Force usage of SSL/TLS

Tim

Edit - In other words the settings I gave are perfectly safe to use 😁

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

While the thread has mostly run it's course, I wanted to make one further comment on emClient's naming of the SSL/TLS options.

As discussed earlier there are two methods of SSL/TLS

Explicit SSL/TLS (ofen referred to as StartTLS) - Where the connection is initially made on an insecure connection and then the Client sends a StartTLS command to ask the server if it can negotiate a secure connection.

Implicit SSL/TLS - where the port is reserved for SSL/TLS, and the client automatically starts it's SSL/TLS  handshake.  It is this that emClient refers to as SSL/TLS over special port (Legacy)

Certainly as far as SMTP Port 465 SSL/TLS was concerned this WAS a legacy setting up until 2018.  At that time a best practices RFC was issued

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8314

This changes recommendations for email submission, which was up until then Port 587 with Explicit TLS.  It recommended that while Port 587 should still be run in parallel for the time being, the recommended port for email submission is Port465 Implicit TLS

Furthermore, although servers do support Explicit TLS for POP3 and IMAP, it recommends that these connections should continue to use Implicit TLS on the existing ports 995 and 993 respectively.

That means that far SSL/TLS on a special port is far from being regarded as a legacy setting.

Tim