forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Supabil
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

SPAM errors returned for correct email

I keep getting SPAM errors from my emails sent to friends. As I have more than one email address, I sent the same email from another computer with a different email address. The emails that failed are from [REMOVED], whereas the same email succeeded from [REMOVED]. I looked at the notes from regarding the SPAM Failure, but couldn't understand them I'm afraid!

The error I received is as follows: -

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

You sent the following message, but this message could not be delivered to all recipients:

======================================================================

Subject: Email Trouble

------=_Part_640399_130007728.1595854401050 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit  Jim,  I am having more with Virgin Media!  I hope you are getting everything!  Regards  Bil ------=_Part_640399_130007728.1595854401050 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Typ ======================================================================

The following addresses failed:

[REMOVED]

host mx.lb.btinternet.com [213.120.69.2]

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

554 Message rejected on 2020/07/27 13:53:21 BST, policy (3.2.1.1) ID (5ED714E109739DBA) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

I hope you can help?

Bil Levinson

[REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: SPAM errors returned for correct email

@Supabil wrote:

I keep getting SPAM errors from my emails sent to friends.

Do all those friends have email addresses that end with '@btinternet.com'? Do not post the email addresses.😉

It looks from the error you posted that  BT (or more accurately, their anti spam filter) is blocking those emails for some reason. This type of software uses a range of techniques to determine whether to class an email as spam. Only BT would know the exact details and they will not make that public.

The fact that you are able to send the same emails successfully from a different address and that BT are actively rejecting the email rather than delivering it to their customers' spam folder suggests that it may not simply be an issue with the contents of the email.

However, only BT can answer that. Perhaps your friends need to complain to BT that genuine emails from their contacts are being blocked and asking BT to sort it out. Who knows, they may be missing emails from other people and organisations and are not yet aware of it. If they do follow that route they will need full copies of the error messages that you are receiving to enable BT to track down the problem.

This is a issue that is often raised on the BT Community Forum,here is one from earlier this year https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Your-message-looks-like-SPAM-or-has-been-reported-as-SPAM/m-p/1994...  It seems that particular example was resolved but soon reappeared.

Complaints about the BT anti spam filter also appear regularly on the forums for other Internet Service Providers with customers complaining that they cannot send to BT email addresses. Plusnet comes to mind and here is an example https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/emails-to-btinternet-com-being-returned/td-p/1618610 

No one wants to receive spam, on the other hand no one wants their genuine emails rejected as spam.  Unfortunately,email services have a tough job getting the balance right.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos