cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM content found

St_Ivo
Tuning in

Hi again,

Whilst I'm here it would be good to see if anyone can help with another issue!

I access my email using either webmail or Outlook for Windows on a PC (Win 10) or on an Android phone. Sending emails from my PC mostly results in a failure quoting "552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) ". Sending the same mail from webmail or Android is successful.

Can anyone help with a solution please? TIA

12 REPLIES 12

St_Ivo
Tuning in

. . . just a bit more info.

The email I sent to myself this evening was addressed to me with the subject line "Testing from PC". The body of the mail was "Bla bla bla". Nothing else and especially no links.

The almost instant reply from System Administrator had the subject as "UNDELIVERABLE:Testing from PC" and then the following body:-

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     Testing from PC

Sent:  12/01/2023 22:36

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

[my name] on 12/01/2023 22:36

552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) G6AopXfVKhHYeG6AopHbYD

Just in case that's helpful!

St_Ivo
Tuning in

. . . . just a bit more info.

The email I sent to myself this evening was addressed to me at my normal @ntlworld.com address. The subject line was "Testing from PC". The body was "Bla bla bla". There was nothing else and especially no links.

The almost instand reply from System Administrator had the subject line "Undeliverable: Testing from PC" and the following body:-

----------------------

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     Testing from PC

Sent:  12/01/2023 22:36

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

[my name] on 12/01/2023 22:36

552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) G6AopXfVKhHYeG6AopHbYD

----------------------------

Just in case it's useful!!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the PC email client add an email signature the other email clients do not?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

Many thanks for your response.

I thought I had the signature turned off but I checked and can confirm it is OFF.  But doing that made me realise I have six email accounts on the Outlook client. Four of them are VM accounts (2 x ntl & 2 x VM) plus two Outlook addresses. I sent another series of mails to myself making sure I changed the FROM account each time. It seems I can send from the Outlook accounts but not ntl or VM. Does that make it an IP issue?

I also saw one of your (I think!) replies to a similar problem where you suggested running curl. I tried this but can't see an error in the report but i'm not sure where it would appear.

Thanks again so far.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@St_Ivo wrote:

I thought I had the signature turned off but I checked and can confirm it is OFF.  But doing that made me realise I have six email accounts on the Outlook client. Four of them are VM accounts (2 x ntl & 2 x VM) plus two Outlook addresses. I sent another series of mails to myself making sure I changed the FROM account each time. It seems I can send from the Outlook accounts but not ntl or VM. Does that make it an IP issue?

No, this is not an IP Address issue; email clients are successfully connecting with the SMTP server for it to return the Spam Content Found warning.

To troubleshoot further try:

• in Outlook, recreate the message causing an issue and send it to yourself to confirm it causes the Spam Content Found warning
  • save a draft of the message
  • in webmail, go to Drafts folder and select the previously saved message
  • select Edit Draft and send to yourself
  • was the message delivered to your your Inbox folder or Spam folder?

FYI: Successful curl output look similar to the following:

> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info

and unsuccessful (for highlight purposes VM error code appears in bold text):

< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

Hope I've done this correctly! First In Outlook compose email and send it to myself. It failed! Spam detected etc.

Then create same email in Outlook to myself but save it before sending to create a draft. Go to webmail and open the draft copy. Send it to myself. It arrived in the INBOX.

. . . and for the curl issue; my report was certainly successful based on your images.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All was correctly done and helped pinpoint the issue specifically to Outlook.

To  find the cause can you try the following:

1. in Outlook compose problem email
  2. try to send email
  3. when it fails to send due to Spam Content Found warning, edit it, select half of it content and press Ctrl + X to cut to clipboard
  4. try to send the remaining half
  5. if send fails with Spam Content warning then repeat step 3
    otherwise repeat step 3 but first replace content of email with that from clipboard, press Ctrl + A to select all content and then Ctrl + V to paste over it

FYI by reducing the email's content you should eventually reduce it down to the content that is triggering the Spam Content Found warning.

and / or alternatively post back here to have issue flagged to the forum team who maybe able to find the cause by the unique reference (looks like a string of random character) shown in the warning.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi again VIP, (apols for not being able to read your name!)

I have just tried to send three mails to myself. The first had just my ntlworld address in the 'TO' field, a single word in SUBJECT and a single letter in the BODY.

The second had the same TO field, another different single word in SUBJECT and nothing in the BODY.

The third had the same TO field but both SUBJECT and BODY were left empty.

All three failed.

I then sent one from a different address (vm.com) to my gmail address with just three words in the SUBJECT and "x y z" in the body. It also failed.

It seems it fails whenever I send from the Outlook client on the PC using any of my ntlworld or vm addresses.It DOES NOT fail if I send from any non-vm/ntl account using the same Outlook client on the same PC.

I don't think I can reduce the content much more so I guess the next step is to flag it as you suggest. Each failure message has a different (unique) reference so if somebody can let me know what I need to post to help I'll do it. Do you need to flag it or should I?

Many thanks for you help.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Issue has been flagged to the forum; be aware it can take them a few hours or days to respond though it is usually the latter.