Menu
Nothappy16
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

SPAM City?!

Is it just me? Over the last week or so, I’m getting SPAM every time I check my email (NTL) account! It’s as if VM have changed/switched off their filters! I’ve set up various filters/rules at my end, blacklisted dodgy domains etc, but tbh it’s not making a difference. I’ve enjoyed virtually SPAM free email for years previously. Any thought or help appreciated, thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: SPAM City?!

If you scan through the topics on this forum, or search them, you will see that you are very much not alone. This subject has been discussed frontwards, backwards and all ways up.

There is a spate of SPAM at present affecting VM and ntlworld customers. I do not know to what extent it is affecting other e-mail providers but it has been reported on this forum that g-mail is relatively free. Solutions (not all successful) include creating specific filters, reporting to report@phishing.gov.uk and simply deleting the spam without opening it. 

I have used filters successfully in the past but this latest plague comes from multiple domains and addresses, probably fake. I am experimenting with a filter to identify e-mails with specific words like 'renewal' and 'prize' as spam, flagged as such with a  view to deleting or reporting it as phishing.

If all else fails, I either live with it or switch to a different e-mail provider. Before doing so, I would need to know if it is being hit as badly as VM. 

There is a lot of comment from people more knowledgeable than me on this forum but you do need to look for it.

0 Kudos
Nothappy16
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but really I guess the point is, if VM's filters were adequate, then as 'customers', we shouldn't have to do anything much as individuals.

Sure there would be occasional need, but to get SPAM every few hours, EVERY day is no longer acceptable.

Time for a change I feel, which is a lot of hassle!

0 Kudos
stublee
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have been deluged with this spam daily along with everyone else  (   @ntlworld  addresses )   As this problem has gone on for so long now and doesn't seem to have been addressed by Virgin it would be good to have an official reply from them that they are :-

(1 )  aware of the problem  (2 ) are concerned about the affect it is having on their customers (3)  they have any idea how to stop it -  or are indeed prepared to do so ?

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This reply was originally written to Nothappy 16 but probably covers points raised by Stublee too.

Yes, indeed. It is a point made loud, clear and often.

One answer previously suggested on this forum was that providers like Google have more resources to devote to the problem. It has been said that VM makes no money from e-mail provision so it is low priority for investment. For more technical discussion of the issues involved in filters, seek out comments from VIPs. Such comments can quickly lose me. 

What would be useful would be information about the SPAM performance of other providers. My daughter tells me that hotmail.com is fine these days and I have heard no adverse comments about g-mail; but this is just anecdotal.

Changing e-mail provider can be a real pain if you have been with VM a long time. I guess the strategy could be to transfer the high priority contacts first and work down the list. It's probably a good time to close down and weed out some accounts and contacts seldom if ever used.

Best of luck. I will plough on with VM for now. My SPAM flow has increased but it is not unmanageable, just a pain.

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I googled  'best e-mail provider' and one article I found was this: https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-free-email-services

I cannot vouch for its results but I have seen the top names mentioned elsewhere. Perhaps spammers have read these articles too and decided to cast their nets in the more fruitful waters of the e-mail providers not on the list like VM.

I also came across 'anti-spam' software which I was unaware of. I am unlikely to buy 'anti-spam software' but, if anyone has a view, it would be good if they could share it.

0 Kudos
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Look up "My spam solution". It is working fine as others confirm.

0 Kudos
Nothappy16
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to be really thick... what is the relevance of that date(or do I just date it with today’s date?) Thanks!

0 Kudos