Menu
Highlighted
EG1
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SPAM - Can Virgin do what they promise?

Hi,

SPAM gets irritating. Even more so when the Virgin SPAM detector is putting genuine emails into a SPAM folder. 

Virgin's website says:If emails from a particular sender are being identified incorrectly as SPAM, save the sender as a contact. This will ensure that you receive all messages from that sender and their messages won't be identified as SPAM. 

Which doesn't do what it says. I regularly see genuine emails from addresses in my contact list. When I go to add them it tells me they are already contacts, so i know its the same email address and and not a variation. I add them as contacts via Virginmedia's own email system, not via some other app or device. 

Anyone know any reasons why this doesn't work as per Virgin's description?

Also...

Virgin's website says:"in addition to the SPAM filters, we also check that the email has come from the sender that is shown in the email. This is done using sender records in use by most email providers. If we believe that the email may not be from the sender shown, we'll place the message into the SPAM folder."

Which again doesn't do what it says. These are often the most obvious looking bits of SPAM or risky links and I see them in my inbox, not my SPAM folder. 

I might be expecting too much in terms of SPAM control, but expecting it to work as Virgin describe doesn't seem too ambitious as a starting requirement. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SPAM - Can Virgin do what they promise?

Migrate your email address to a NON ISP one.

Now.

There is an inference there that answers your question BTW....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

EG1
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Understood.

But shouldn’t there be a way to hold them to account for not meeting their published standards? Or at least explain why not.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@EG1 wrote:

Understood.

But shouldn’t there be a way to hold them to account for not meeting their published standards? Or at least explain why not.

IMHO with Virgin Media's email service being a free add-on to broadband there is little pressure a user can exert to have these issues addressed unless a majority of the user base is impacted.

Do heed Kippies good advice and find an email service that is independent of any ISP and with a level of security that is equal to or greater than the service it maybe used with and/or help secure.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@EG1 wrote:

Virgin's website says:If emails from a particular sender are being identified incorrectly as SPAM, save the sender as a contact. This will ensure that you receive all messages from that sender and their messages won't be identified as SPAM. 

Which doesn't do what it says.

You are by no means the first person to raise these issues.

See this thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Mailchimp-messa ge-going-to-spam/td-p/3547623  from 2017!

Check out posts 2 and 7 where I highlighted the inconsistency between the advice in the VM Spam email information pages and how they actually handle incoming emails.

If you are really interested, you can read the thread in full for an explanation of why emails from senders in your contact list can still get sent directly to your spam folder.

As Kippies and 用心棒 have said, rather than continue to wait for a resolution from VM you should switch to using a dedicated email service which will provide a greater level of security, a more reliable service and very importantly, does not tie you in to using a specific ISP 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer