Menu
BoneyToal
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SMTP issues

Why, oh why do there seem to be constant reoccurring issues sending emails via desktop. Had constant issues trying to sort for a family member new laptop after there old mac mini would not connect, Laptop was Windows 10 and fully updates.

I now have same issues from my Mac mini using apple mail and also thunderbird.

Mail seems to send most times online although I have had a couple of problems recently which sent 2nd or 3r time.

Ringing support is useless as they do not fully understand that just because I can send when logging in online it does not mean that there are not issues with SMTP servers.

I have tried both blueyonder and virginmedia smtp server settings but still no joy.

To make it even worse, if I remove the account from the app then re-add it works for a very short while.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP issues

If you're using Thunderbird on the PC follow the advice here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

If Thunderbird is on the Mac then use the information above but save the file as tbirdlog.command instead.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BoneyToal
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, I did have a look at this earlier but it did not give me any solution to resolve the issue, I think l can do a log direct from the email app in OS X but again not sure how it will resolve the issue and not sure why it seems to work for a short while if profile/account removed then re-added

0 Kudos
BoneyToal
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

now getting authentication issue when trying to re-add account after removing 

unable to verify account name or password (both are correct)

it picked up the virginmedia server settings for IMAP

Mac is running El Capitan as that is the latest version natively supported for the computer but as mentioned

Anybody else had similar issues with Mac OS and emails

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@BoneyToal 

Here's how the Forum works.  You tell us what the problem is.  If we can work out from the original post what the issue is, then we will suggest a fix.  If not, then we will ask for information, where necessary advising what steps to take to provide the info.

Now if you go back to my post above then you will see that if you launch Thunderbird with a specific .bat file (windows) or .command file (Mac OS) then we can turn on SMTP logging, which will give us a lot more information.

Alternatively if you open a terminal window in Mac OS you can enter the following line:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u myaddress@mydomain.com:password 2>&1 | grep "235\|VM"

Where myaddress@mydomain.com is your full virginmedia email address and password is your password (note the : between the two).

Don't post the command line but do post the response.

A similar command for Windows 10 machines is:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u myaddress@mydomain.com:password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

BoneyToal
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks did from terminal with the following result

0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:05 --:--:--     0< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

I know the password is correct as it is the same for incoming which works

changed the server details to blueyonder ones and after a couple of attempts it added the account but not sure if it just added and skipped some authentication, 

incoming seems fine but issue remains with SMTP

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@BoneyToal wrote:

< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

First off - you need to do away will all previous preconceptions.

Virgin Media do a number of checks at authentication time besides username and password.  Should these checks fail then you get an error 525 Authentication Denied (VM3xx).

On the other hand, if the user name is wrong then you get 535 Authentication Details Invalid (VM300)

So we know two things :-

1. This is not a password issue.
  2. That this is not a server issue.

So lets get down to the issue.

VM305 means that your home IP address is listed on Spamhaus' CSS blacklist.  You don't have to take my word for it by the way you can check it by finding your public IP address here:

https://whatismyipaddress.com

And then putting the IPv4 address here:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

IGNORE ANY PBL LISTING - all residential customers should be on the PBL.

Tim

BoneyToal
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, I think then it s to do with my VPN which would be giving a virtual IP address.

Switched off VPN and waited a minute or so then enabled and new Virtual IP.

Did a quick test when switched off - email sent then again when back on with new virtual IP address and works for now.

Will monitor and bear this is mind as a fix/workaround

thanks for your assistance it helped solve the issue 

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@BoneyToal 

What VPN are you using?  Please say it's not Hola Free VPN.

Tim

0 Kudos
BoneyToal
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As requested

'it's not Hola Free VPN'

Avast Secureline VPN is the one I use

0 Kudos