cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP and Virgin Media Business

munrobasher
Up to speed

Two questions here - does this community support VM business customers and if it does, can you send email via SMTP? I've personally been a consumer customer for many years and I've occasionally sent email via SMTP but I'm pretty sure that needed authentication with my @ntlworld email and password combo. Then again, it's ages since I've done this.

I'm trying the help a charity which has very generously been given VM business free but can't find much documentation on SMTP with business. They used to program their Giftaid system to email via the TalkTalk SMTP server but this obviously doesn't work with the switch to VM.

I'm well aware of all the SPF spoofing issues around doing it this way and they may have to pay for a commercial SMTP service like SMTP2GO.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@munrobasher This community is for issues with residential Virgin Media accounts.

However, in respect of your question Virgin Media business broadband accounts do not come with an email address.  The charity would need to use an email service independent of the broadband supplier.

This could be via Gmail or Outlook as two examples or by setting up a domain name for the charity and using an email service with their own domain name.  This would give a more professional image but would have to be paid for.

It is also worth pointing out that VM no longer provide an email provision for new broadband customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@munrobasher This community is for issues with residential Virgin Media accounts.

However, in respect of your question Virgin Media business broadband accounts do not come with an email address.  The charity would need to use an email service independent of the broadband supplier.

This could be via Gmail or Outlook as two examples or by setting up a domain name for the charity and using an email service with their own domain name.  This would give a more professional image but would have to be paid for.

It is also worth pointing out that VM no longer provide an email provision for new broadband customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham - I suspected as much. The charity uses Microsoft 365 for their cloud services inc. Exchange mail. We may have to purchase a mailbox license and use that. Probably better anyway as it's then going through the approved mailbox/SMTP server.

Hello munrobasher.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry again as we only deal with Residential services here.

Our Business Team do have a webchat option here if that helps.

Or you can call them direct on 0800 052 0800 Option 1 > 3.

Hope you manage to get your Giftaid set up sorted.

Gareth_L