I can logon on to virgin media web mail to send and receive emails however my IPad, I phone and PC (outlook) receive e-mails but wont send emails because it says the password is incorrect. I have changed the password 4 times but still doesn't work. I even rang virgin who gave me a new password and that did not fix it. I have checked and rechecked all the setting which are in line with whats published on the virgin site. My Wife's email is also doing the same so clearly something wrong with the smtp server. I even set up a brand new account with a virginmedia.com and that didn't work either. Any help is appreciated before I terminate the Virgin contract
Of course is a VM SMTP problem. Only if it was you wouldn't be getting an error message. Your e-mail program is communicating with the SMTP server and you are getting back an message which tells you there is something wrong. So the server is working. As MissPasko says we need to find out what is wrong by seeing the error code that is being returned by the server. Don't jump to premature conclusions which are not supported by the evidence.
Your description of what is happening fits this scenario exactly:
Have you also entered/changed the password within smtp>primary server? Make sure too that you're using virginmedia.com as the account's primary server. Also check that authentication is set to password under advanced.
Hi, I am getting the same problem using both my iphone and from my Mac. Both are using latest Apple OS's. I changed nothing in the network or mail account settings. Password. email addr and port are all corre ct. Using SSL. Everything looks correct. Connection doctor on the Mac shows "501 5.7.0 authentication aborted". IMAP works fine so rec eiving emails all fine. Just SMTP on outgoing not working. This has been like this for past 2 days. And yes I get same problem as everyone else is seeing, prompting me for password/user name but they have not changed. It is clear to me (And I am a software developer), afyter looking at the logs that smtp.virginmedia.com isnot working properly. The c onnection is established and the auth seems to be working but then fails. I am trying to connect to a ntlworld.com account. No problem reading/writing using webmail.
Hello!! I have been looking at the wrong logs.....
I get this in the logs: READ Oct 25 14:38:04.434 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_2] -- host:smtp.virginmedia.com -- port:465 -- socket:0x600009864240 -- thread:0x6000063f1d00 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)
I see VM305 so checked SBL on SpamHaus for my IP. I confirm, my IP is NOT blacklisted.
Was easy in the end. I am tethering off my iphone. So checked the network settings on the iphone. They looksed good. But I did see one item missing. The user name. Not sure for other iphones but on the 6+, go to Settings->Mobile Data->Mobile Data Network and ensure the Username is just set to "user" no password. Restart your iphone, and bob's your auntie. All working now.