Menu
Michael419
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SMTP Server

I can logon on to virgin media web mail to send and receive emails however my IPad, I phone and PC  (outlook) receive e-mails but wont send emails because it says the password is incorrect.  I have changed the password 4 times but still doesn't work.  I even rang virgin who gave me a new password and that did not fix it.  I have checked and rechecked all the setting which are in line with whats published on the virgin site.  My Wife's email is also doing the same so clearly something wrong with the smtp server.  I even set up a brand new account with a virginmedia.com and that didn't work either.  Any help is appreciated before I terminate the Virgin contract

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Server

Email clients tend to give a generic error message.  Please get the specific VM error code (VMxxx) by following the instructions here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Then post back in this thread and the Superusers can advise the next course of action.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Of course is a VM SMTP problem. Only if it was you wouldn't be getting an error message. Your e-mail program is communicating with the SMTP server and you are getting back an message which tells you there is something wrong.  So the server is working. As MissPasko says we need to find out what is wrong by seeing the error code that is being returned by the server. Don't jump to premature conclusions which are not supported by the evidence.

Your description of what is happening fits this scenario exactly:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Being-prompted-for-user-name-amp-password/td-p/4089307

so you have work to do before we can help you. We need to see the VM3xx code which is disclosed in an Outlook send log. Nothing else will suffice.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have you also entered/changed the password within smtp>primary server? Make sure too that you're using virginmedia.com as the account's primary server.
Also check that authentication is set to password under advanced.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bluescouser
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am getting the same problem using both my iphone and from my Mac. Both are using latest Apple OS's.
I changed nothing in the network or mail account settings. Password. email addr and port are all corre ct. Using SSL. Everything looks correct. Connection doctor on the Mac shows "501 5.7.0 authentication aborted".
IMAP works fine so rec eiving emails all fine. Just SMTP on outgoing not working. This has been like this for past 2 days. And yes I get same problem as everyone else is seeing, prompting me for password/user name but they have not changed. It is clear to me (And I am a software developer), afyter looking at the logs that smtp.virginmedia.com isnot working properly. The c onnection is established and the auth seems to be working but then fails. I am trying to connect to a ntlworld.com account. No problem reading/writing using webmail.
0 Kudos
bluescouser
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh and BTW, my IP and also SMPTP IP addresses are NOT blacklisted.
0 Kudos
bluescouser
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello!! I have been looking at the wrong logs.....

I get this in the logs:
READ Oct 25 14:38:04.434 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_2] -- host:smtp.virginmedia.com -- port:465 -- socket:0x600009864240 -- thread:0x6000063f1d00
525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

I see VM305 so checked SBL on SpamHaus for my IP. I confirm, my IP is NOT blacklisted.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What addresses are you checking for, the 192.168.0.x private addresses or the single WAN address that your Hub has? If the former then that's not what you need to lookup. 

To find your public WAN address, just open a web browser and goto http://whatismyip.com which will tell you your current address at the top. It's that address you need to check.

John

0 Kudos
bluescouser
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK. Solution.

Was easy in the end. I am tethering off my iphone. So checked the network settings on the iphone. They looksed good. But I did see one item missing. The user name.
Not sure for other iphones but on the 6+, go to Settings->Mobile Data->Mobile Data Network and ensure the Username is just set to "user" no password. Restart your iphone, and bob's your auntie. All working now.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear you found the solution.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos