Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 61 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Failing

In reply to your Smart TV question - yes, ravenstar68 has noted in the past that he's come across smart TV(s) that have had a spambot sending out crud, I believe.

Is your smart TV connected to the internet through WiFi ? You'll have to go through connecting the TV to your laptop Hotspot and run Wireshark as previously instructed, if it is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 62 of 94
Flag for a moderator

.......and don't forget Tim's advice after you start Wireshark, (in message 56) when you've connected the TV to your WiFi Hotspot .....

"1. Single click the relevant interface.
 2. THEN put in the capture filter tcp port 25.  If you put in the capture filter first, when you click the interface, the capture filter will be lost."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 63 of 94
Flag for a moderator

All of my things are wireless not ethernet connects at all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 64 of 94
Flag for a moderator

I have just changed the Smart TV to pickup the hotspot from laptop.. Now about to run wire shark.. I am wondering do I need to either go on to one of the Smarts Apps that's connects to the internet, such as the YOUTUBE app, Amazon Prime App, and then wire shark will notice some movement, or just watch normal tv instead..??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 65 of 94
Flag for a moderator

@byronwells wrote:

I have just changed the Smart TV to pickup the hotspot from laptop.. Now about to run wire shark.. I am wondering do I need to either go on to one of the Smarts Apps that's connects to the internet, such as the YOUTUBE app, Amazon Prime App, and then wire shark will notice some movement, or just watch normal tv instead..??

If there is a third party app sending mail on the smart TV then it doesn't matter whether you watch Youtube or not.

The important thing is to make sure that wireshark definitely says tcp port 25 in the title bar.  While it's possible to find the traffic we want without running the capture filter, and just running a view filter instead.  But with the filter running, we're guaranteed to only see mail traffic between your network and various inbound mail servers.

This is because inbound mail is ONLY received on port 25.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 66 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Unless I am doing something completely wrong I am getting to believe that there is no actually spam bot on my home network at all, and that I have just been giving a dodgy IP address from virgin media itself..  Upgraded to Super hub before September this year,,

I have ran wire shark after setting the LG Smart TV and Smart Blue Ray Round System to work through the Hotspot that you create on the laptop.  I have done this for 3 hours and no packets found, even though both items are on..  Wire shark is capturing from Local Area Connection*5 (tcp port 25) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 67 of 94
Flag for a moderator

@byronwells wrote:

Unless I am doing something completely wrong I am getting to believe that there is no actually spam bot on my home network at all, and that I have just been giving a dodgy IP address from virgin media itself..  Upgraded to Super hub before September this year,, 

Here's the problem with that assumption.

You've delisted yourself and then 5 hours later Spamhaus put you back on the CSS.

The CSS is a real time blacklist which responds to multiple detection events before listing an IP address.  If there are no detections in a given period Spamhaus would automatically de-list your IP address.

Do me a favour and post a screenshot of your network interfaces page?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 68 of 94
Flag for a moderator

How do I find the network interfaces pages please??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 69 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I should have said Network Connections page.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Read section 3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 70 of 94
Flag for a moderator

networkconnections.jpg

0 Kudos