Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Issues

Alright MissPasko 

Yes my email works perfectly in webmail however I have always used it through outlook from when I first time virgin media out (just prefer it that way) and no issues.. Until last month, where I had to uninstall how of office pro 2007, remove all blueyonder accounts from outlook, basically remove everything and start from scratch

Then today the same issue has come up, so today I have just removed the accounts from outlook.. Logged into Virgin media and changed the email password. Checked if the new password works via logging into webmail and yes.. Then set up the account through outlook and it finds its, loads all my email up, but again when try to send an email the smtp keeps asking for authorization and doesn't like anything I put it, even the same password as used for logging into webmail

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 94
Flag for a moderator

@byronwells wrote:

Alright MissPasko 

Yes my email works perfectly in webmail however I have always used it through outlook from when I first time virgin media out (just prefer it that way) and no issues.. Until last month, where I had to uninstall how of office pro 2007, remove all blueyonder accounts from outlook, basically remove everything and start from scratch

Then today the same issue has come up, so today I have just removed the accounts from outlook.. Logged into Virgin media and changed the email password. Checked if the new password works via logging into webmail and yes.. Then set up the account through outlook and it finds its, loads all my email up, but again when try to send an email the smtp keeps asking for authorization and doesn't like anything I put it, even the same password as used for logging into webmail

That is good to know.  I was just covering all the bases, and was hoping it was not the spambot problem.  I am sorry to say that the other community users in this thread are correct, you need to find the spambot now.  The webmail will work for you while you search for it.  VM block traffic from email clients to the client servers, but webmail goes to different servers and the authentication is more secure.  You will also find that email clients on mobile devices will work away from your home IP address, or using a  different connection (such as data if you turn off your wifi.)

Good luck - let us know if you need help with the search method.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Alright Mike

I'm just using the wireshark program at the moment to check if I got any spambots anywhere.. I'm just a little bit confused to if it does find any at all, how do I go about actually getting rid of the spambot itself?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Anyone Used WireShark?

I am wondering if anyone else has used Wireshark to detect any spambots exists??

What do I do if I run TCP Port 25 on the wifi and it finds something after running the search?  How do I disinfect??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Failing

I have found my IP to be blacklisted.. I got it removed and then my send function was working.. But now it is back to asking me the password in the SMTP part of outlook and won't let me send any messages... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone Used WireShark?

How to disinfect depends on what device you have identified as hosting the spambot.  If it is a Firestick or similar the easiest way is to perform a factory reset.

If it is because you are running the free version of Hola VPN then removing that software should do the trick.

Be aware the until you remove the spambot you are likely to keep getting repeat listings on blocklist.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Well I am running wireshark again but now it takes ages to find any packet... How long is it suppose to take?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 18 of 94
Flag for a moderator

@byronwells wrote:

I am wondering if anyone else has used Wireshark to detect any spambots exists??

What do I do if I run TCP Port 25 on the wifi and it finds something after running the search?  How do I disinfect??

Before I wrote the post, I worked with @Finnegan to find something on his network, and @boothy99  has also used the information in my post and reported he found the device emitting spam.

Fist thing to understand.

1.  The spam could be coming from ANY device on your network.
2.  My post requires a PC with Windows 10 and a wifi device to work., in theory using an Apple device with a wifi device should works as well, but I'm not able to test.  (I wonder if I should crowdsource for a Macbook - PMSL.
3.  Fist step is to identify the device emitting the spam.  I test the PC on it's own first to rule that out, then I set up the Wifi hotspot on the PC and connect the wifi devices to the wifi hotspot instead of the hub in order to test them.

Using that process enables us to narrow down the source of the spam.

Then once we know what device the spam is coming from, we can concentrate on what to do next

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Alright Tim

I am using a PC Laptop with Virgin Media super hub.. I have installed Wireshark onto laptop and ran with admin privileges.. Select the WIFI from the list and typed in TCP Port 25 as explained somewhere else on.. Running it for now about 3hrs and it just says live capture in progress.. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 94
Flag for a moderator

So if all you're seeing is a blank capture with no packets, then we can rule out the PC itself as the source.

Does the PC have a wireless adapter?  Because to move to the next step, you're going to need one.

Tim

0 Kudos