Menu
Stanl
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

SMTP Authentication when adding Outlook account

I have a similar problem to someone who posted it previously where whatever I do I cannot set up additional email accounts into Outlook 365.

I need to get it sorted by the IT Team but don't know how to get in touch with them so if someone could please advise it would be most helpful.

0 Kudos
Stanl
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Authentication when adding Outlook account

I don't think I worded my original post too well first time around so I am going to try again now.

Basically I have a brand new laptop and I am using Outlook as my email client, normally setting up an email account is an absolute breeze.

I type in my email address then my password and click connect and hey presto it's all done.

Not so on my new laptop, I do the above and I get an error message asking me to enter my name and password for the following server.

It the lists the server name i.e. smtp.virginmedia.com, my user name and my password, I know everything is correct but it just will not create any ntlworld or virginmedia accounts.

It is very frustrating so I hope someone can help with this.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The first thing I would suggest is forcing a re sync of the account password across the VM databases. To do this follow:

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

However, the system to do that is currently unavailable due to maintenance that is estimated to be completed by 7am tomorrow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Stanl
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham_A.

I tried this several times prior to posting having read the problems other people have been experiencing with Outlook and Virginmedia settings. Unfortunately this hasn't worked in the past but, I will try this again tomorrow and post to confirm how it went.

0 Kudos
Stanl
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

I tried what you recommended and it did not work if you have any other thoughts please let me know.

0 Kudos
Stanl
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone help me get my email working by giving me a telephone number or department to contact at Virginmedia 

0 Kudos