Menu
Henricus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

SMTP Authentication when adding Outlook account

My wife has a secondary account set up that is mainly intended for incoming messages. This was previously included in Outlook 2010 as a POP3 account, delivering to the same mailbox as her normal account (which is also a secondary one - mine is the main Virgin account). 

I have been replacing the POP3 accounts with IMAP equivalents, with no difficulty, apart from my wife's 'other' account. When I try to set up the IMAP account, at the point where it tests settings, the incoming server authenticates successfully, but the SMTP server does not - it keeps asking for login credentials, which I know are correct because the imap server accepted them, and I can use them to sign on in the Virgin Mail app.

So, while it is not a major issue that the account can't be used to send mail, this is preventing me from creating the account in Outlook at all, which is a problem.

Based on other forum posts, I switched on error logging in Outlook and found logs for 525 Authentication Denied (VM304). By the way, they were not in OPMlog.log as expected, but in separate log files named with the email address and a timestamp - I'm not sure if this difference is down to Outlook 2010, or the fact that the error occurred while creating the account.

Anyway, based on the response to other reports of VM304, I am posting this hoping for some help from a moderator to get past this error so I can add the account to Outlook. I am guessing it may be to do with the fact that the account was set up some time ago, and has never sent an email (or at least hasn't for some time).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Authentication when adding Outlook account

That specific error code means that there is a problem with the email account at the Virgin Media end.  It appears to have been deactivated in their backend systems.  This will need to be referred to the IT team by the Forum Team when they reach this post.

When you log into My Virgin Media with your primary account details does this secondary account show under the My Profile > Manage Accounts tab?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Henricus
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response Graham.

Yes, I can see the account still exists, and I was able to add it to my view of the Virgin Email App. As I said in the original post, the incoming server authenticated successfully, and the problems only started with the SMTP server. I tried sending a mail from the account in the Virgin Mail App, but this failed too.

I then tried changing the password on the affected account, as suggested on one of the other forum threads, but this doesn't seem to have been picked up by the Imap server, which still recognises the old password. Maybe I'll try again later, while waiting for a mod to pick this up.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Given the error message you are seeing there is nothing that you can do at your end to solve this.  The problem lies within the VM LDAP database.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello Henricus

As @Graham_A has advised we will need to get this logged with our IT Team 

It can take around 7 days to fully fix 

All I need to so is pass security by Private Message and get this sorted for you. 

Can you check the purple envelope top right of your screen 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for passing security Henricus

I have assigned this email issue to our IT Team now 

They will have a look at everything to see whats happened. 

The usual turnaround is 7 days, however with it being New Year it might be a little bit longer 

As soon as I have any information I will get back to you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Henricus
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks Graham. This has been picked up by the mods pretty quickly anyway, so I'll stop clutching at straws now.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out.

0 Kudos
Henricus
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gareth. We can live without that account for a few days while it gets sorted, but good to know a fix is on its way.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No problem at all Henricus 

All the best for New Year and I shall be back in touch in 2020

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Henricus
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

This is still not resolved. I had a strange phone call from someone in offshore support asking me for password details for the email account, which concerned me slightly. They also said further work was required to resolve the issue after this.

The forum moderator who picked this up confirmed the call from support was genuine, but I have still not had any update as to when the problem with the email address will be fixed.

0 Kudos