Menu
bw41101
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Rule application within webmail filters.

Greetings;

I have (like many others I guess) been and are being bombarded by bitcoin spammers and I have been creating filters to combat same. However, could someone please clarify in which scenario one would use the following:

Apply rule if all conditions are met

Apply rule if any condition is met

Looking at the above, one would assume that the ANY condition would be more effective as it would only require a single portion of the filter information to be met to initiate a filter response. The issue is, that I have created filters using both of the above and the final results between the two are inconclusive, I.e. they are both (pretty much) even when it comes to filter effectivity - so which selection would you use? 

Constructive advice would be appreciated please?

Cheers

BW41101

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rule application within webmail filters.

Conversely the argument made for Any could similarly be made for All, i.e. there it no need to evaluate further after a condition returns false.

IMHO leave it to the underlying parser and algorithms to perform any optimisation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RopuchkA
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It differs because the filter rules are applied in order..

ALL (All rules must be met)

A) To: green@gmail.com AND From: Smith@gmail.com AND Subject contains: MONEY
Action= DELETE

ANY (any 1 rule must be met)

B) To: green@gmail.com OR From: Smith@gmail.com OR Subject contains: MONEY
Action= DELETE

Will delete any email from green@gmail.com and will NOT even read FROM/SUBJECT rule as the first rule (TO) has caused the delete.

Will delete any email that has MONEY in subject line if first 2 rules are not met

WIth ANY the order of the rules matters totally!
0 Kudos
RopuchkA
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ALL and ANY differ as the order of the rules matter...

ALL (ALL rules must be met)

a) TO: green@gmail.com AND FROM: smith@gmail.com AND SUBJECT contains; MONEY = DELETE

===============================================================================

ANY: (ANY 1 rule needs to be met - Here the order of the rule is important!)

b) TO: green@gmail.com OR FROM: smith@gmail.com OR SUBJECT contains; MONEY = DELETE

This will delete ALL emails from green@gmail.com as Rule 1 is complied with (The algorithm will not read rules 2 or 3)

If rule 1 is not met and (eg rule 2 as well) then ALL emails with MONEY in Subject line will be deleted no matter who sent them!!

Hope that helps ... RPKA

0 Kudos
RopuchkA
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The difference between ALL and ANY is that with ANY the order of the rules matters ... (For ANY think of OR)

ALL  (all rules to be met)

FROM: smith@gmail.com AND SUBJECT contains; MONEY = DELETE

================================================================================

ANY (Any 1 rule needs to be met)

FROM: smith@gmail.com OR SUBJECT contains; MONEY = DELETE

This order will delete ALL emails FROM smith@gmail.com (The algorithm will NOT progress to rule 2 as rule 1 has caused deletion)

IF rule 1 is not met rule 2 will now apply and ALL emails with MONEY in the subject line will be deleted ... thus the order of rules in OR filter is of the utmost importance>>> Hope that helps ... RopuchkA

0 Kudos
bw41101
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Greetings;

Many thanks for the information and it looks like the ANY selection is the one to go for. 

One thing I never use though (for persistent spammers like bitcoin, etc) is the E Mail address in my filters. For obvious reasons (normally being meaningless gobbledygook) creating filters using these would be a waste of time.

No "Subject, From and Body text" (what I've found) are the most productive filtering mechanisms. so long as one only uses "primary" words and each separated by a wild-card (@) within the filters.

Sadly though, I've not found a way of creating a filter where the message "body" text utilises a picture embedded with a link, sigh................................!

Nevertheless, it's still irritating to receive messages that have circumvented the filter - very challenging, but (hopefully) we'll get there in the end!

Thanks again

BW 41101

0 Kudos