cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting password on secondary email account.

sjw211
Up to speed

I'm trying to reset the password on a secondary email account.  I think I used to be able to do this from the 'master' account but it looks like it's done on the account now.

I've managed to log into the Virginmedia account I want to reset and get to the Edit option for the password.

However, when I select this I get a screen asking me to verify it's me and to change my Signin email address (see below).

Screenshot 2023-11-25 161259.jpg

What is it actually asking me to do?  Change this email address to something else - as in use a different email address for this one?  How does this work, I'm confused....

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sjw211 It is asking you to change the log in username for the email account concerned to a third party email address.  This doesn't change the underlying email address just the way you access it.

See this help page: https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sjw211
Up to speed

Thanks - but what is the reason for this?  Given I can log into the account, why can't I just change the password without changing how I access it?

What would happen if I needed to change the password on two sub accounts and I tried to use the same details on both?  Would the second one fail (details already in use message?) or would it show two datasets merged?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The reason is given in the help file I linked to: Why are you asking me to change username.

Basically it is to improve security by adding a type of Multi factor authentication.

Each VM email address will need a different third party email address set as the username.  You would not be able to the same one for different accounts as the system would not know which account you are trying to change password for.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This is supposed to make their email system more secure, after various incidents of hacking.

Or it might just be that they want to have all customers using non VM email addresses ready for when they close them down. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.